Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Load help

Old 11-14-2010, 12:41 PM
Spike

Default Load help

Shoting a TC Endover, Triple 7 FFG lose powder 100g vol., Fusion primers, eather 240 g XTP or 250 gr shock wave. Problem is can't seem to control the highs and lows left and right is great. I feel i'm seating the same depth each time Swabing (cleaning) between shots. Good news is the first shot seems to go were I want it then high then usley back down then high it's driving me nuts. Some might be me but not all. What should I try new to ML. I have some Winchester primers should I try them. Should I go up or down in powder?
Old 11-14-2010, 08:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Verticle stringing is a real bug-a-boo for me. I've had the problem often and believe there are a number of things that may cause it.

1. Variance in seating pressure.
2. Slight variance in bullet diameter so some are tighter in the bore than others.
3. Variance in how tight the gun is held, either with the hand on the foreend or the pull against the shoulder.
4. When shooting from a rest, variance in where the foreend is placed on the rest.
5. Sometimes the powder charge does seem to make a difference, and upping the charge a little improves the situation.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

how long are you resting between shots. i was having the same problem with two guns, I shot pyrodex rs and triple 7. shot an 5 shot group the first one almost an bulls, next one high, next little higher, stopped for an minute, loaded up again, that shot almost touching the first and the last shot, was almost touching the second, the barrel was heating up. end up taking both guns to the range with me, shooting one cleaning it. picking up the next gun shooting it. let the barrels cool.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:52 AM
Spike

Thanks, Guys glad I'm not the only one. Looking for mor ideas keep them comming
Old 11-15-2010, 05:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

777 is a crud ring powder, if there is any of the crud left in the barrel it will be right above where the bullet seats and will affect your seating pressure and can cause vertical stringing. The barrel heating or uneven pressure on the for arm screws can also do this. I put a couple of washers between the forearm and the barrel and check the torque on mine. Of course I also use Blackhorn 209 which eliminates the cleaning between shots so is much easier for me to get to group. The Shock Wave shoots really good for me with 110 to 120 gr of BH, so I usually use 115 gr.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:42 AM
Spike

lemoyne, When you say you check the torque on them is this by feel or do you use a torque wrench?