Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
MK-85 @ the Dinger Farm >

MK-85 @ the Dinger Farm

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

MK-85 @ the Dinger Farm

Old 11-14-2010, 04:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default MK-85 @ the Dinger Farm

Well, I just could not stand it any longer - I really wanted to go shoot this new MK. I could not get it done last week as I had to run over to Kennewick to baby sit and act as shuttle driver for one of the grand daughters. Both girls had AAU basketball games in different direction at about the same time. It was fun to watch the middle grand daughter play. Late Saturday afternoon I returned to Moscow with the sole purpose of shooting the MK on Sunday.

Sunday arrived, but so did the fog and rain - I could not even see across the road in front of the house. I waited and waited for the sun to burn it off, finally at 3 in the afternoon it lifted. I grabbed the MK and headed to the farm.

Got to the farm about 3:30 and the light was really bad. I did not realize how bad until I tried to look through the open sights. I had even painted the bead of the front sight white but it was difficult to see and more difficult when I tried to drop it on the target. But, I was there so I was going to shoot.

Set the target out in the field @ 75 yards, popped 3 caps - dry patched the bore and thought let the shooting begin. I had already decided that I was going to shoot the Lehigh 50 cal sabotless first. These bullets are 270 grains and are a very snug fit in the bore. These same bullets had shot very well from my White, but I still had some concerns. This is really a good looking bullet and should be great for both deer and elk. It is still a work in progress as changes still need to be made to make it a more universal bullet. It is my feeling that it fits very well in this MK, you can see the engravings on the bullet.

I had also decided to shoot T7-3f in the gun as I need to use the powder and it ignites so weel with a percusssion cap even below freezing. 90 grains thrown on site was the load. but, by the time I got everything set up and ready to take that first shot the light was really bad + plus my eyes a crappy anyway. It was very difficult to get all lined up.

Here are some pictures of the newly aquired MK... it is really nice...

But you know what... I have now decided the MK is a better shooter than I thought and certainly better than I. I also decided I am putting fiber optics. I have ordered a rear mount Williams peep sight that i think will really help me.

I also did take some .504 Bull Shops' and run them across a file to knurl them. The knurling really helped I have no concerns about the lead staying on the powder now, so that gives me another option. The last two shots of the last daylight were with the Bull Shops. 90 grains T7-3f, with .125x.510 shot card between the powder and the bullet. Looks like they will work just fine also.

Next project is to get the sights changed head to the farm again and get it all dialed in for late ML season, well if I do not shoot a buck here in the next few weeks....
Old 11-14-2010, 04:46 PM
Dominant Buck

Wow!!! that thing is a real shooter with them Lehigh conical bullets. That should work real well for you with that powder charge. I think with a good peep sight, that rifle will be a real shooter. Although it looks like a real shooter now. Nice shooting.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice shooting. Does your front sight have the gold bead? Everyones eyes are different but for me the fiber optics are not the best.
Art
Old 11-14-2010, 04:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

flounder33

Yes it does, but it just does not stand out at all - that is why I put a white bead on it.. but in the greay light it was useless.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm just amazed at the results with the Lehigh sabotless Sabotloader. I'd love to see a recovered one to see how deep they engraved in the rifling.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:50 AM
Fork Horn

Sabotloader: About the front sight, what I have found is with a very fine file, carefully file an angle on the gold bead that leaves it long on the bottom but neatly cuts the top back to the steel portion of the sight. What this has done for me is to allow the bead to show up in all different lighting situation. As you know the actual diamater doesn't change but the angle allows the sunlight to show up on the bead because the angle gives it more area and it no longer is in the shade by being vertical. This has worked well with my peep sighted guns also.

Tape with masking tape the top of the sight and the ramp leadig to the bead before you file, this will keep them from getting marked up if the file wonders. :-)
Old 11-15-2010, 04:39 AM
Fork Horn

What is the difference between a Knight Bighorn and a MK-85? they just look the same!
Moose1
Old 11-15-2010, 06:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Screwbolts

That is an awesome thought. I can see exactly what you are talking about and it makes a ton of sense...

thanks....
Old 11-15-2010, 06:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

Taureaunoir

I am not sure that there is a major difference in the rifles. I thought there was a progression in there of MK - Wolverine - Big Horn but i am not exactly sure.

The only real differences I see, would probably be the reciever shape, probably the trigger, and after that they are pretty much the same.

One other thing - the Big Horn will come with all 3 ignition systems, while when the MK was made nobody had really thought much about a 209 ignition.

One thing I can tell you shooting the 90 grains of T7-3f with a #11 cap - it was not necessary to damp after each shot - I never had to run a patch - just load and shoot.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:58 AM
Dominant Buck

When I file a sight.. I take a piece of plastic like from a milk carton. I cut a circle out of it. Then a small slit in the center the length of the front sight. Push that over the sight and it will keep the file from making nasty reminders on your barrel and sight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.