Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Lots to shoot

Old 11-08-2010, 10:20 AM
mountaineer magic

Default Lots to shoot

Well today was a good day for mail. I received some 530 gr Hydracons for the .52 , from Art and Pete i received some .5045 bullshops for the White and some 50 cal bore size Lehighs to try out. I guess I better get busy shooting some of these. rifle season starts this coming Saturday .I might give the White or the Knight a chance to take a deer. Thanks for the bullets

Old 11-08-2010, 11:26 AM
Fork Horn

I received in August some lehighs 250 bullets to try in my Knight.Superb accuracy but after reading that petal break on contact and the core of the bullet rarely exit,I decide to keep my Barnes Spitfire TEZ which is a reliable bullet.
Taureau noir
Old 11-08-2010, 12:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Taureaunoir

I received in August some lehighs 250 bullets to try in my Knight.Superb accuracy but after reading that petal break on contact and the core of the bullet rarely exit,I decide to keep my Barnes Spitfire TEZ which is a reliable bullet.
Just to let you know, you may have received some bad information... The Lehigh does shed it's petals but not till it hits a liquid atmosphere. So if you shoot the bullet through the shoulder it stay intact until it gets into the chest cavity and them the petals come of and radiate into the vital organs. If they were to come off in muscle tissue they are unable to travel in muscel very far at all because of their light weight.

After the bullet looses it petals the core continues on and almost always exits the animal. The core of the bullet is by far the majority of the weight and once the petals come off the core woorks much in the same fashion that the old Keith Nose conicals did creating addition hydrostatic shock and cutting it way through the animal. The edge of the nose of the bullet, after loss of the petals is somewhat jagged and can be very sharp.

This is not a great example but this is a nice whitetail buck I shot with a Lehigh. It was a high neck to shoulder shot, so the animal went down right away but more importantly, i wanted to check the bullet track...

The bullet entered the neck right about at the end of the scope and right under where the sling is laying on his neck. It exited just above the shoulder that is laying on the ground. One of the petal entered the spinal column and a second cut the carotoid, it bled out perfectly. The core exited and was never found.

You can see the exit wound in this picture.

If you get a chance you might want to give those Lehigh's a chance...