Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

slow season

Old 11-07-2010, 06:30 PM
Banned

Default slow season

After 2 solid days of hunting, a ton of walking/climbing Ive only ran into one 4x4 buck! Shame i didnt have a buck tag. We're only hunting 14 miles from home but the first 3 days "including tomorrow" its been in the low 70's. I think thats whats killing the elk hunting for us.

Tomorrow we're going up into the Sangre De Cristo mountains near La Veta in hopes of cooler temps and hopefully an elk or 2.

Can't complain though to be honest. We've discovered amazing area's close to home that will be fun just to hike to for a visit, a couple caves, an old boiler from a steam train, amazing area's for turkey hunting " main thing we've seen", trails full of bear scat. I mean TRAILS of bear scat. If i had that bears rear end, i'd be begging for someone to shoot me

We'll see how it plays out tomorrow in the new area.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:57 PM
Typical Buck

Reminds me once when I was hunting in 80 degree weather in November, never seen anything. The big boys were laying down in the shade and nothing was moving until dark. I hope it cools down for you and the day it just snaps into cold I would be on stand as that is instant magic for the critters to get moving. Just something about the cold that gets them up and moving. Good luck.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:19 AM
Dominant Buck

Believe this or not, but it was the honest truth.. one Wisconsin deer season it was so warm I was wearing on top, a T shirt and since I had to have a blaze orange outer, a hooded sweatshirt with the back tag. I'd worked the night shift, found a hay stack, opened the sweatshirt, laid back watching a field and it was so warm, I fell asleep. Normally you're bundled like Frosty the Snow man and still cold. But the weather can fool you, that's for sure.

Good luck in the other areas. Hope you get one.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am with you. In four FULL days of hunting, I have only seen 3 does (traveling together) and I didn't have a shot at them. I tried to stalk them, but they were snaking away too quickly and I could not get a handle on where they went.

I talked to 8 different hunters and they are all saying the same thing. Little to no deer sightings, and I have heard very little gunfire. I wonder what's in the water in my area? Actually, I have a theory. Even though we got little to no rain this summer, there are tons of acorn mast on the ground. So much that it's like the deer can bed in the thickets, just poke their heads out if they want a nibble, and suck their heads back in. Like turtles.

I am hunting Wed-Sat of this week. Hopefully my luck will change.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO
I am with you. In four FULL days of hunting, I have only seen 3 does (traveling together) and I didn't have a shot at them. I tried to stalk them, but they were snaking away too quickly and I could not get a handle on where they went.

I talked to 8 different hunters and they are all saying the same thing. Little to no deer sightings, and I have heard very little gunfire. I wonder what's in the water in my area? Actually, I have a theory. Even though we got little to no rain this summer, there are tons of acorn mast on the ground. So much that it's like the deer can bed in the thickets, just poke their heads out if they want a nibble, and suck their heads back in. Like turtles.

I've not had this experience so I think it depends on where in the state you are hunting. I killed the biggest buck of my life Friday and my friends have been doing lots of shooting. Some of it missing, and a few of the shots connecting. I've only gotten to shoot once which is when I got the big 11 pointer, but I haven't gone all that much either.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the buck! Okay then, WHERE in the state are YOU hunting??
Old 11-08-2010, 07:40 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO

I'm curious...what times have you been out? My last trip out to Rappahannock (100+ acres of private land)...we saw deer (multiple does) at dawn and dusk. Absolutely nothing in between. I did see one doe in Fauquier during the afternoon though. :2cents:

Last edited by Xander Crews; 11-08-2010 at 07:42 AM.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Xander Crews
I'm curious...what times have you been out? My last trip out to Rappahannock (100+ acres of private land)...we saw deer (multiple does) at dawn and dusk. Absolutely nothing in between. I did see one doe in Fauquier during the afternoon though. :2cents:
All day long!
Old 11-08-2010, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Xander Crews
Yep, that seems to be when we have been seeing them too.

As for the part of the state, I didn't mean it meant what part of the state you were hunting, just the area. The reason I say that is I have several friends on both Southern VA and Central VA that have been seeing deer about every time out. They both say they are seeing them at dusk and dawn though. Some of the older guys have commented that they haven't seen this many deer in years.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
Yep, that seems to be when we have been seeing them too.

As for the part of the state, I didn't mean it meant what part of the state you were hunting, just the area. The reason I say that is I have several friends on both Southern VA and Central VA that have been seeing deer about every time out. They both say they are seeing them at dusk and dawn though. Some of the older guys have commented that they haven't seen this many deer in years.
Well that makes me feel good, LOL! This is only my 3rd season of hunting, so I'm sure I have a lot to learn still.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.