Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Teflon tape

Old 11-07-2010, 07:03 PM
Spike

Nice you seem really knowledgeable about Mler's sabotloader I'm glad i found this web site been learning alot from you guy's
Old 11-07-2010, 07:04 PM
Spike

Yea are you aloud to trap them wolves
Old 11-07-2010, 07:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

zZ50CalZz

I believe there is a trapping season for them - but in most cases they are protected - endangered...

This site is a very good one - there are some really good folks on here that have been muzzleloading much longer than I have - i am old but fairly knew to the sport... problably been active in this for 15 years - I have even given up hunting with a centerfire - I really feel good using a ML during our regualr rifle season.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:16 PM
Spike

Same here thats what i plan on doing to i have taken alot of game here in PA.If everything works out for me I'm probably going to hunt just with Mler's.Hey 2 years ago i trapped a black coyote.Nice big male about 45 pounds I'll look around for some pictures of it i kno i have some around here just have to find them.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:26 PM
Fork Horn

sabotloader is correct about the tape color. Pink is used for natural gas or propane pipe fittings. White is for general purpose use. But I don't suppose it matters used for this purpose. If I remember correctly the pink is somewhat thicker than white. As zz50calzz says, it is very educational listening in on the knowlegeable conversations by all you ML experts.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

onebigelk

You are correct the pink is the thicker of the two. Which tape you use depends on how tight the plug is in you ML. With some ML's the pink is to thick and will not screw into the port with cutting and balling the tape up - so in that case use the white tape.

I three of my Knights I use pink tape ant in 2 others I use white tape.

And as shown pink is to thick for the Triumph...
Old 11-08-2010, 04:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are actually 4 colors/grades of polytetrafluoroethylene (teflon) tape available:

white - single density for small diameter thread joints (best on joints under 3/8" IPS)

pink - double density for large diameter thread joints (best on 1/2" - 2" IPS)

yellow - for gas lines (even a bit more dense & thick)

green - for oxygen lines (oil free)

I carry white, pink, and yellow on my truck (I'm a plumber, but also install black iron gas lines).

I have one inline (a Traditions) that the breech plug will seize if I use grease only. First time I took it to the range (anti-seize lube only) I actually had to remove the breech plug with an impact wrench. The plug allows so much blowback (the dirt gets so far back in the threads) that it will break loose fairly easily, then seize after about 1/4 to 1/2 turn out.

I found the yellow tape would work on the breech plug the fit is so bad.
With the yellow tape it's "hard to put in - hard to take out" for the breech plug, but at least it will come out.

I'd say the pink tape would be a good one to start with on most breech plugs. It's similar to white in thickness, but much denser (for comparison think of a tight weave fabric - a lot more material in the same area).

BTW - I use tape and "dope" on all my pipe joints and have had no problems with leaks in the past 10+ years since I started using both. I do the same with the breech plug.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

wabi

You missed one

Gray for stainless and its a bit thicker than White.

TT50 260SS GRAY STAINLESS STEEL TEFLON-THREAD SEAL TAPE
This tape has nickel pigment color added for use on all stainless steel fittings. Prevents galling, seizing or corrosion. A high density rating, this is the tape for coarse stainless steel threads. Also carries a temperature range of -450F to +550F. Exceeds Mil. Spec. T-27730A. UL Listed

Last edited by Gm54-120; 11-08-2010 at 05:30 AM.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have thought about using Teflon tape but thought it might be a bad idea. Guess I was wrong! I’m new to MLers, but my breech plug has never been difficult to remove. I have been using XF7 Weapons Lubricant, SPARINGLY, on my BP since day one. My longest shooting session has only been 50 or so rounds, but at the end, removing it was a breeze, and I tighten it down pretty good. I may cut that out though since I’ve learned it’s not necessary.

I use the XF7 on my M14 (a gun that requires GREASE, not oil!) and, I have to say, it’s amazing stuff.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Just made up another picture set for zZ50, thought I would post it... might help clear up my other errors...

Also make sure you are wrapping in the correct direction...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.