Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Open sights questions >

Open sights questions

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Open sights questions

Old 10-27-2010, 12:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default Open sights questions

I recently bought a CVA Accura and took it to the range last weekend. I bought see thru scope mounts so that I could still use my open sights. After a few shots of sighting in my open sights I ended up having to push the front sight wayyyy over to the right in order to be one target. This not only looks odd when looking at the front sight and the top part is hanging off to the right but seems I have to put my cheek way over to the right when looking down barrel.

Has anyone ever ran across this?? I mean its pretty accurate this way but just doesn't look or feel quite right.

Suggestions??? Thank you
Old 10-27-2010, 12:33 PM
Banned

Yep, mine is like that, Its called, blind as a bat & **** eyed LOL
Old 10-27-2010, 12:40 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
Yep, mine is like that, Its called, blind as a bat & **** eyed LOL
Well not sure about my eyesight as ive got 20/20 as far as I know. It just looks so odd having that thing pushed over so far. I have the same type of scope mounts on my .270 and have never sighted in the open sights on it. Maybe I'll try that and see if there is any comparison???
Old 10-27-2010, 02:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Did you ever consider tapping your front sight to the left? Just a suggestion. Then you can move the rear sight back a little left.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:25 PM
Dominant Buck

Somehow that does not sound right. But good luck with the rifle.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

NEBRbruiser

What you describe surely is not the norm... Installing open sights on a barrel does require a precise measurement both for the front and rear sight. If the front sight appears to be centered and the rear sight has to be adjusted that far one direction or the other there probably is an alignment problem on the barrel. I certainly would contact CVA and discuss the problem with them.

I have never looked at a new CVA, is the front sight a dove tail set up or is it installed on a ramp and screwed and fixed on the barrel?
Old 10-27-2010, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
NEBRbruiser

What you describe surely is not the norm... Installing open sights on a barrel does require a precise measurement both for the front and rear sight. If the front sight appears to be centered and the rear sight has to be adjusted that far one direction or the other there probably is an alignment problem on the barrel. I certainly would contact CVA and discuss the problem with them.

I have never looked at a new CVA, is the front sight a dove tail set up or is it installed on a ramp and screwed and fixed on the barrel?
It's a Fixed Front Sight, only adjustments are on the rear sight.
(BP)
Old 10-27-2010, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by NEBRbruiser
I recently bought a CVA Accura and took it to the range last weekend. I bought see thru scope mounts so that I could still use my open sights. After a few shots of sighting in my open sights I ended up having to push the front sight wayyyy over to the right in order to be one target. This not only looks odd when looking at the front sight and the top part is hanging off to the right but seems I have to put my cheek way over to the right when looking down barrel.

Has anyone ever ran across this?? I mean its pretty accurate this way but just doesn't look or feel quite right.

Suggestions??? Thank you
Seems like your ML is shooting way left for some reason? It could be YOU, you wont notice this with a scope as you dont see it in the cross hairs as good as you see it on the MLers Sights, so the Scop may be adjusted this way also but you dont see it.
If possible let soemone else shoot your ML and see where they hit using the Open Sights as you have them adjusted to.
I have 3 ACCURA's and I use High Base See Thru Scope Mounts on all of them, plus I have each one sighted in for the Open Sights just in case the Scope is Snowed Over or whatever and None of My Rear Sight Adjustments are like yours, mine are slightly off center.
What Powder and Bullet Combo are you using? sometimes this could cause your ML to shoot left or right, it just may not like your Load.
(BP)
Old 10-28-2010, 04:42 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for all the input. I am shooting two 777 pellets and the TC 250gr bullets. I may have to have someone else shoot and just see. Thing is it seems to be grouping pretty nicely so I guess I'll just deal with sight?? I don't really want to have to deal with CVA and sending it in etc, etc. Just wondered if anyone had seen this before.
I'm pretty new to this black powder sport so have a lot to learn. I just love the fact that I'll be able to deer hunt the whole month of December when its COLD and deer are moving.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:06 AM
Fork Horn

Did you have to use a lot of windage to zero the scope?

You may be canting(rotating) the rifle when you look under the scope. You might try removing the scope and sighting in again.

I would take the rifle to a gunsmith or a machinist who can eyeball the barrel as it may be bent.

You can sight in a bent barrel, but, the windage will only be right for that distance.

Bad barrels, machining, and assembly mistakes happen, CVA ought to make good on it if that's the case.

Good Luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.