Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Finally Got One

Old 10-26-2010, 08:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Finally Got One

A doe, that is. Hunted hard for six days.

Was in a tree stand watching a game plot last night. That place is very close to a section of land that is owned by an anti hunting bunch out of Dallas-Fort Worth. It would be an easy 75 yards for a wounded animal to get over the fence on that property.

A nice doe came in head on and was antsy. Closed my eyes and peeped at her once in awhile. Finally she calmed down and turned broadside. i did not like that shot and waited until she turned at an angle to my right. The doe dropped her head to browse and i fired.

Bang flop. The bullet hit the animal just behind the shoulder and exited the neck.

Distance: 45-50 yards
Gun: CVA StagHorn
Scope: Weaver Grand Slam 3X9 set on 4 power
Powder: 100 grains of 3F Pinnacle
Bullet: 240 grain .430 XTP in Knight sabot
Primer: Winchester shotgun

Tried to remove the primer with the CVA tool and the rim was missing from the primer. Had to pry it out with a knife. Never had this happen before.

According to my Cabela's scale the deer weighs 90-100 pounds field dressed.
Attached Thumbnails Finally Got One-doe-25-oct.-10-001-medium-.jpg  
Old 10-26-2010, 08:13 AM
Dominant Buck

Congratulations on the doe. That is a great eating size deer. How big of a wound channel did that 240 grain XTP make? The reason I ask is my Staghorn likes that bullet also, but I always figured to shoot the 300 for the extra weight.

I know all about those anti hunter groups. I hunted an excellent farm that had one such group as a neighbor. And they patrolled their property just waiting for someone to violate their fence line. I had a nice nine point come out and stand at the fence line on my side. I kind of had the same thoughts as you I am sure, about taking the shot. He was over three hundred yards away but shooting my Ruger 7mm mag, that distance did not bother me. I dropped him two feet from the fence. And when the howling horde came rushing in... there was nothing they could do but tell me how terrible of a person I was for killing that buck.. from the other side of the fence of course.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the nice harvest! Good story.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

How big of a wound channel did that 240 grain XTP make?
It's a strange thing. The exit hole in the does neck is visible. Just behind the opposite shoulder there is a small tuft of hair: That is where the bullet hit her. The chest cavity was full of blood. Not sure of the condition of the lungs: The heart was intact. It was dark when i field dressed the animal.

This morning i looked for a hole in the chest cavity that deer and could not find one. i was sitting in a stand that is 18 feet off the ground and the bullet hit the deer at a pretty good angle. She had her head down when hit.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

Nice going falcon. Bang flops are better than sex (well, at my age anyway).
Old 10-26-2010, 11:39 AM
Typical Buck

Way to go,Falcon.What's for Supper?Backstrap,biscuits and gravy!!YUM YUM!!
Old 10-26-2010, 02:21 PM
Fork Horn

I love it... no tracking required! Good eating.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice eating doe, congratulations
Old 10-26-2010, 04:43 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats on your deer. easy tracking jobs sure are nice