Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bipod Works Once

Old 10-12-2010, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bipod Works Once

We are now into the second and last week of our early doe season, and i finally got some shooting at doe on government land. Saw 2 a long way off, and pulled a sneak. Crawled on my belly for quite a distance, but couldn't get close enough for a shot. Back crawling is a weird thing; pant legs go a way up to knees, Lane's Tubes fall out of vest and are lost, shirt comes out of jeans and crawls up to chest. Dropped a way down and circled back to them doe. Was too intent on them doe, so when i stumbled on 2 more, jumped them up without a shot. Finally found a route down wind, and walked right up to within 50 yard of doe, was too excited, and missed the shot.

Headed back to truck, and moving carefully, managed to see a doe feeding toward me. Circled up away, and went around a knob, hoping to get a good shot. Plan worked, using the bipod fully extended, stood about 103 yard away, and somehow managed to squeeze the trigger. 270g Speer hit tops of both lungs and barely clipped the backbone. Deer dropped, and quickly expired. It turned out there were two deer, and the second doe ran off a short distance and stopped allowing for a second shot. Went to reload, and had no powder in my vest; Lane's Tubes had fellen out whilst back crawling. Doe stood, and stood, and stood, but finally ambled away giggling, because i kept looking and looking for powder. I hate it when deer laugh at me.

The entry hole.

The innards.

Last season i had to drag a deer, from near the same location, on a sled. That was a miserable experience, that i hope to never repeat. This year, GPS say deer was 0.6 mile from truck. I walked to truck, and drank 3/4 quart of water, dumped rifle, binoculars, cap, and hunting vest. Put the 'cart' together, and pulled it up to to the deer. That wasn't so easy, but the hopes i had for a decent return with a loaded deer kept me some happy.

The deer was killed at the upper right of the last picture, in front of the last ridge, and behind the next closest ridge. The trip out was many orders of magnitude easier this year than last, because of the game cart. GPS say i walk 4.6 mile total. Had 3 pieces of bacon on toast for breakfast, and never ate again until 3:45 in the afternoon. Wasn't really hungry then; wondering if it was because i was dehydrated. Drank the rest of the water from the Korean War Canteen, and a can of 'the dew', and 2 cups of coffee before i made it to the driveway at the house.

The rifle was the Triumph, and the load was 105g BH209, 270g Gold Dot, Harvester Crush Rib, W209.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice Story and Congrat's on that Fine Eating Doe! Been there and done that on not having what ya need to make another shot, needed just a Primer and could'nt (find one) in My Fanny Pack as a 10pt Buck stood at 10yds looking at me, I just shot a Big Doe and was'nt ready for another shot, who knew!
I think I set the Worlds Records for Dragging Deer, I hunt in the Ravines, and aplong way off the beatin path. I've had to drag 2 deer back to my Truck over 2 miles in 15 inches of Snow, plus many others in the 2 mile range, My Stand is that far from My Truck, oh I forgot to mention the Swamp and the 2 Creeks and Water in the Swamp Grass that gets 2+ Feet Deep. And NO a 4 Wheeler cant get there, so when I shoot something I better give myself plenty of time to get out and be sure I want to do the drag, it takes about 2 hours.
I know Im gonna go Draging out a Deer one of these Days, but what better way to go!
Old 10-12-2010, 07:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

Chalk another one up to Gold Dots! Looks like that 270 grainer was "reasonably effective".

Last edited by Semisane; 10-12-2010 at 08:01 PM.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations on your doe, very nice story.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
Chalk another one up to Gold Dots! Looks like that 270 grainer was "reasonably effective".

Ha!!!! Twas the wheels that foiled you buzzard!!
Old 10-13-2010, 04:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice read. Congrats Ron.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:49 AM
Dominant Buck

Congratulations on a nice doe. That cart looks like a good thing for you there.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:00 AM
Typical Buck

Congrats! Good story too!
Old 10-13-2010, 07:40 AM
Fork Horn

I like the cart. Did you build it?
Old 10-13-2010, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought one on e-bay new for $50. Works like a charm. Did a 400 yd "drag" for a 130 lb deer without breaking a sweat. We have flat ground for the most part here, but still, the cart beats dragging.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.