Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Shelf life for BH209 >

Shelf life for BH209

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shelf life for BH209

Old 10-09-2010, 05:02 AM
Spike

Default Shelf life for BH209

Hey all. I am a ML hunter only, I don't shoot just to shoot, only when gun season is here in OH. I bought a can of BH209 about a year and a half ago and I still have about 1/2 can left. It has been stored in my gun cabinet with the lid on tight, but is it still good? I put a new scope on my T/C Pro Hunter and would like to get it sighted in before the weather gets cold. Can I use this powder or should I go get more?? I looked at it today and seems to be very loose still (absence of moisture) but you guys know more about this stuff than I do so I figured I'd ask. Thanks for the help.
Old 10-09-2010, 05:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

As longg as it's been kept cool and dry I can't see why it wouldn't still be fine.
Old 10-09-2010, 05:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

BH209 is very storage "friendly" for me so far and seems to be very moisture resistant.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

It should be just fine. BH209 doesn't soak up moisture like some other powders do, and even those powders are fine if they are kept sealed. I have a can of T7 that I've had for 3 years that shoots just fine.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

I get old military ammo boxes and make sure the rubber seal is in good condition. I keep it in good condition with plain old corn oil.

Then i put powder bottles inside and add a few silica packets. Any powder seems to last. Using BH209 it may be a bit extreme but the piece of mind is worth it.

BH209 has actually been tested left open for months indoors and worked fine according to TB. Ive seen it soaked in water then dried and it still fired but i would only do that with EXTREME CAUTION and under very controlled conditions. The water removed some of the added bulk material and the powder weighed less afterwards.

Disclaimer:
I AM IN NO WAY SUGGESTING ANYONE TRIES THIS!!