Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
New Prohunter - terrible trigger... >

New Prohunter - terrible trigger...

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New Prohunter - terrible trigger...

Old 10-08-2010, 06:38 AM
Fork Horn

Default New Prohunter - terrible trigger...

Great gun accurat, tank like but a horrendous trigger. Did some searching and am thinking about ordering from www.bellmtcs.com

I am considering the #4 trigger spring to reduce the trigger pull.

I am not sure which spring needs to be replaced. I really don't want to break the action down but I think even 'five thumb' me can remove the trigger guard and replace the trigger/sear spring. but, I am not sure if that's the spring that is replaced.

any help much appreciated.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

Robertesq1

If you can and you have the time, put a phone call in to Bellum also - they are a great help..
Old 10-08-2010, 07:48 AM
Dominant Buck

Personally, and this is just my opinion, while the people that have sent their rifles to Bellum are pleased with the results... I think it is terrible that after spending the kind of money you have to, on that rifle that Thompson Center can not get the trigger right. I would be calling Thompson Center and see what they want to do about it before I send it off and pay more money to someone else for something Thompson Center should have done right the first time.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:45 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
Personally, and this is just my opinion, while the people that have sent their rifles to Bellum are pleased with the results... I think it is terrible that after spending the kind of money you have to, on that rifle that Thompson Center can not get the trigger right. I would be calling Thompson Center and see what they want to do about it before I send it off and pay more money to someone else for something Thompson Center should have done right the first time.
I agree with Cayugad! I would be calling TC first.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:56 AM
Typical Buck

I got a Pro Hunter this past spring and will be replacing the spring on it as well. Since it is a fix that costs less than $10 to do, I won't get too worked up about it.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

Dave and CC are certainly correct, but if time is a factor - Bellum is the way to go..
Old 10-08-2010, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

The above guys are absolutely correct. No reason for a rifle to cost that much and need a trigger job, But it does. A spring might help the pull but may not necessarily help the creep.

For me a high quality trigger is mandatory on a rifle.

Personally I sent my actions to Bellm to have the triggers adjusted exactly the way I want them. It cost extra money, but I have come to expect that cost on just about any firearm sold out there. Is it right---NO. But it is what it is.

You could send it back to TC but that is no guarantee it wil come back the way you want. I have seen several actions sent back to TC because of a bad trigger, and only a couple came back as acceptable-but still not nominal.

The only MZ out there I know of with a great trigger out of the box is the Knight rifles with their rifles that have their fully adjustable trigger(not al of them). It is the only trigger that I feel qualified enough to do the adjustment myself. Along with the Canjar triggers.

Personally I would not attempt to do a triger job on an Encore. Too complicated for me. But then I also am not satisfied with just a spring change. I want my trigger to be honed and polished correctly. And obviously that is too much to expect from a factory trigger. Tom.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:56 AM
Typical Buck

I agree with Cayugad;
i would pack up the gun and with a nice letter to customer service Att: Jennette
you won't get better service
I would also mark the box to here Attention she will get first hand and no BS she will have the matter fixed
Old 10-08-2010, 02:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Personally, and this is just my opinion, while the people that have sent their rifles to Bellum are pleased with the results... I think it is terrible that after spending the kind of money you have to, on that rifle that Thompson Center can not get the trigger right.
Bingo!!!!

TC can do better than that. Some Encores come with horrible triggers and some few others are great. The trigger on mine broke like glass at 3.5 pounds from the factory: This is evidence that TC can get it right if they want to.

My gun and its centerfire barrels had numerous other quality control related issues. A gun that costs that much should not have any quality control problems. I would never buy another TC Encore.

My TC Black Diamond is better finished than my Encore and it had no quailty control issues.

Last edited by falcon; 10-08-2010 at 05:56 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:18 PM
Typical Buck

I am very surprise a gun at that cost doesn't come with a adjustable trigger,My thunder hawk has a timney trigger and it can be set any way the shooter like his or her trigger lbs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.