Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Bad Habbits or quirks you would change? >

Bad Habbits or quirks you would change?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bad Habbits or quirks you would change?

Old 10-01-2010, 05:55 AM
Fork Horn

Default Bad Habbits or quirks you would change?

Anyone have any bad habbits they would like to change?

I personally do not like the audible "click" my guns hammers make when ****ed into the fire position. I have realized that if I fully pull the trigger, I can then pull the hammer all the way to the rear and relase the trigger. When I then take my thumb off the hammer, the weapon is fully ****ed without the audible "click". The downside is I find myself repeating the action of ****ing without sound and then un****ing the gun, over and over again in the blind while waiting for deer. I have never had a misfire, but playing with a trigger and hammer is not the safest thing in the world. Just make sure that barrel is pointed at the dirt.

Just wondered if anyone else has quirks you would like to change.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

When I picked up my Omega, I noticed the same thing, though I don't need to pull the trigger fully to the rear to prevent the click. I practice doing this for at least 5 minutes nonstop every time I get the gun out so it will be second nature to me when it actually counts. I can see how it would become a fidgety habit while in the stand/blind; I do the same thing with my safeties. However, I would NEVER play with the hammer with a thick pair of gloves on, or even a thin pair without some type of grippy material on the palms. And I always take my shooting hand glove off when deer approach, but it's too damn cold to leave it off all the time just to play!
Old 10-01-2010, 08:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yea...I'd quit drinking too much and running around with wild women...
Old 10-01-2010, 08:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

A few years ago I had the nasty habit of getting up every morning and going to work. It was a tough one to break after 35 years. But with lots of help from the Retirement Institute I'm now clean, and a much happier man.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:57 AM
Dominant Buck

On a target range I have to slow myself down all the time. I find myself rushing almost to get the rifle swabbed and loaded again. Also when I set myself into the rest, again, I have to slow down and make sure all my spots are where they should be.

A funny thing about that clicking when pulling back the hammer of a traditional rifle. I was in a tree stand years back. I had a nice little six in but he was nervous. I could tell he was tail twitching, and his ears were moving back and fourth. I decided to shoot but he started walking out on me. When I pulled back the hammer, that clicking sound not only stopped him dead in his tracks but he turned broadside so he could look around. He turned out to be a small eight instead of a six.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have that dame habit with my Marlin 39A .22 while i'm squirrel hunting. But it also has the cross block safety.

The other thing i want to stop is paying professors to make me do work!
Old 10-02-2010, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I also pull the Trigger back and hold the Hammer with My Thumb to prevent the Click, that Damn Click has saved the lives of a few Deer over the years!
Bad Habits....I Always tell Myself to be READY for Game no matter if it's the first Day of the Season or the Last, just when you let your guard down (There He is) and either you dont have your Bow or ML ready and missed the Opporitunity, then guess what, I was'nt ready and Blew It! He Saw Me First!
My only other Bad Habit is Spending Too Much Money on Hunting Stuff, but that's one Bad Habit I can live with.
(BP)
Old 10-02-2010, 01:45 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Semisane
A few years ago I had the nasty habit of getting up every morning and going to work. It was a tough one to break after 35 years. But with lots of help from the Retirement Institute I'm now clean, and a much happier man.
Living the life!