Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Where would you, what would you. >

Where would you, what would you.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Where would you, what would you.

Old 09-30-2010, 05:48 AM
Dominant Buck

Well the answers are really interesting. I made this up for fun so there is no wrong answer. But I do see a lot of thinking went into some of these answers.

Wisconsin's deer herd was decimated in recent years. The deer population numbers plummeted do to poor management and over hunting. This year it is buck only in my area, and the buck must have horns (spikes) at least three inches long (if they follow the past rules). These are the first deer I have seen in my yard for over three years. I really enjoy watching them.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
Wisconsin's deer herd was decimated in recent years. The deer population numbers plummeted do to poor management and over hunting. This year it is buck only in my area, and the buck must have horns (spikes) at least three inches long (if they follow the past rules). These are the first deer I have seen in my yard for over three years. I really enjoy watching them.
Based on this knowledge, I would let it walk. I feel your pain though Dave. My family's land was surrounded by folks who shot anything and everything they seen. Just destroyed the population. I haven't killed anything on that property in probably 5 years. Just trying to let everything build back up.

But back to the question, I would choose option 3 if I were to shoot. The Lord for some reason blessed me with the ability to shoot off-handed quite well. So in that scenario it would be an easy shot for me. But of course there are more things to consider and the population would be number one for me. Given I'm a PT photographer, I'd probably just have to shoot him w/my Canon instead
Old 09-30-2010, 07:27 AM
Dominant Buck

SHOOT HIM WITH A CANON!!! Oh you mean a brand of camera..

I wonder if all of your photography training has not also helped you develop the ability for off hand shooting. When I was young I was a pretty good off hand shooter. And with a handgun I am a good free hand shooter. But I have noticed now, since I do not practice free hand shooting as much as I should, I am lacking a little in free hand. One reason I like tree stands, blinds, shooting sticks, or a rope rest.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:37 AM
kb1
Fork Horn

seeing as this is going to be my first year hunting with a flintlock,and considering i'm 6 days into the season with no deer yet and being a firm believer in QDM (quality deer meat)i would be settin' a sight on #3 hoping to be having backstrap,onions and mushrooms cooking on the woodstove at the camp that night.heck to me that is a trophy day.........karl
Old 09-30-2010, 06:10 PM
Typical Buck

If I were going to shoot him,I would take the #3 shot.I only ever shot one button buck in my life. I haven't shot a deer that small since.That was back in the time we had only 2 doe days for the entire season.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Too much chance of movement for a head or neck shot.

I would give it 30 seconds for a better shot window, but if not, I would take just in front of #3.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:41 PM
Dominant Buck

I have shot deer that small. When the DNR had a earn a buck program, we had to shoot a doe or fawn before we could hunt buck. That year in my scouting I had seen three nice bucks. So opening day a nubbin buck stepped in, and I hammered him. Talk about good eating. So I got the doe requirement out of the way, and then hunted bucks the rest of the season.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Those little ones sure are good on the plate. I believe taking a yearling doe over a mature doe is a good thing. Either way you're removing a doe from the herd. But the older one is an experienced momma and almost certain to produce twins in the spring.

But our club rules allow only two does per man, so I hold out for the bigger ones and about twice the meat.