Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Where would you, what would you. >

Where would you, what would you.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Where would you, what would you.

Old 09-29-2010, 03:41 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Where would you, what would you.

Here is another one for the forum. Hope you enjoy it.

• You have a .50 caliber flintlock. It is loaded with 85 grains of Goex 2f and a patched roundball.
  • It has fiber optic sights on it.
  • The season for the day ends in ten minutes.
  • Its the first deer you have seen in six days.
  • You have practiced with the rifle and load extensively before season and were very comfortable shooting out to 50 yards off the bench with it.

for the sake of argument, we will overlook the fact that I took this photograph in my backyard. Lets just forget that fact. Instead imagine it is in the middle of the woods, and perfectly legal and safe to shoot there. (this nubbin buck decided to eat my flowers and what is left of the garden)

The distance to this deer is twenty five yards. You are standing behind a small brush pile but can see over it to shoot. There is little to no wind. But the light is starting to fade. So... there are 7 options. 5 for you to shoot at. Or you can decide not to shoot at all. Or pick a different area to shoot.

What you going to do?

(I had four of them in tonight eating out of the gardens and the green grass in the lawn. I was very glad to see them. )

Old 09-29-2010, 03:52 PM
Typical Buck

Probably wouldn't shoot. My eyes cant see open sights very well, especially at dusk. Even if they are fiber sights. Let him grow up to be bigger.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree, likely let him walk. Unless it was the Dec. season, than maybe he'd find his way into the freezer.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

if you decided to shoot, i'd say the 3 hole
Old 09-29-2010, 04:41 PM
Banned

Right at the top of the 3
Old 09-29-2010, 04:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

Iffin I were to shoot that little bugger I would shoot between the 3 and the 0. But I wouldn't shoot that little buck. I'd much rather shoot a doe and let him grow some.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:58 PM
Fork Horn

5 is an interesting option.... I say drill him in the three hole! (that sounds a little dirty) I don't know about where you live, but we have WAAAAAYYY too many deer to let one walk on the last day of the season.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

4 and 5 are horrible shots. Shooting #4 you are ruining the back straps. #5 you are destroying the steaks. Those would never ever be an option for me. A little higher on #3 would be my choice.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

If I were to take that shot it would hit right between the 3 and the 0. That is about where I figure the ball will hit if I aim @ the 3 spot with the sights... Since you indicate dead on @ 50
Old 09-29-2010, 05:19 PM
Typical Buck

Nice question Dave,
When PA had a separate Doe season we would put money into a pot for the first head shot. The few that I have taken dropped in there tracks(Ruger#1..300win) plus you save all the meat for the freezer. So having said that #1 would be my choice given its close range but any further distance #3 is the wise choice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.