Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Keeping loose powder dry?? >

Keeping loose powder dry??

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Keeping loose powder dry??

Old 09-20-2010, 05:25 PM
Typical Buck

Default Keeping loose powder dry??

I'm going to switch to loose powder. I'm just concerned with how dry the speedloaders will keep my powder. Will loose powder soak up more moisture than pellets(T7 or pyrodex)? Which speedloads should I go with? Also, will 209 primers misfire if they get moist? Thanks'
Old 09-20-2010, 05:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Buy any speedoader, put in zip loc bag, then carry in a fanny pack...Unless you go swimming, they won't get wet...
Old 09-20-2010, 05:36 PM
Banned

Lanes Powder Tubes <---------------
Old 09-20-2010, 06:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

PREDATE

For hunting I really do prefer the TC speed loaders. They hold the powder and the bullet plus they have a built in short starter.

If you get the cap snapped tight all the way around it provides a great seal... I have left powder stored in them all season - just carry them around in a pack + the one in my pocket...

Lane's tubes - great for the range and if you measure your powder... but IMO Ireally like the easy operation of the speed loader.

https://secure.tcarms.com/store/4-n-...t-no-7057.html
Old 09-21-2010, 03:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lane's tubes have a screw cap, and using them works for me. Whilst hunting i carry 4 in my pocket; 3 each with a measured powder charge, and the other with 3 bullet and sabot.

The only issue i have ever experienced doing this is, i cannot load my rifle laying on my back.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Lanes tubes or speed loaders both if properly set up will keep your powder dry.
Here is a thought for you the fact of the matter is that pellets even in the same amount as loose powder will not hold a group as consistently as well measured loose.
There are two reasons for this you can check one of the by weighing both over 25 round several of us have found that the pellets will be off more than volume thrown loads thrown by a top cut off measure. The other is some pellets are compressed more than others [if you notice some crumble easier than others] this causes differences in burning rate which has an effect on accuracy. Not to mention finding the best load for the gun. Now if you want a consistent dependable powder try Blackhorn. If you want to compare it to the other powders for that then soak what ever you are comparing to it and Blackhorn for a few minutes in water take them out dry them off with a paper towel and try shooting them.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:21 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by lemoyne
Lanes tubes or speed loaders both if properly set up will keep your powder dry.
Here is a thought for you the fact of the matter is that pellets even in the same amount as loose powder will not hold a group as consistently as well measured loose.
There are two reasons for this you can check one of the by weighing both over 25 round several of us have found that the pellets will be off more than volume thrown loads thrown by a top cut off measure. The other is some pellets are compressed more than others [if you notice some crumble easier than others] this causes differences in burning rate which has an effect on accuracy. Not to mention finding the best load for the gun. Now if you want a consistent dependable powder try Blackhorn. If you want to compare it to the other powders for that then soak what ever you are comparing to it and Blackhorn for a few minutes in water take them out dry them off with a paper towel and try shooting them.
I thought about trying Blackhorn , but the BH website says that it shouldn't be used with the type of 209 nipple that I have. It's the conversion from Brownells (Rem.700ml). I'll try the tubes that I have already with the ziploc thing.Thanks'