Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA Wolf Loads

Old 09-23-2010, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default CVA Wolf Loads

Hey guys, I have been watching this forum for the last few weeks and there is a wealth of good info on accurate loads.

I bought a CVA Wolf for my granddaddy last year as he is 80 years old now, and his T/C Hawken, though accurate, is getting heavy for him to lug up and down the hills of SE Ohio.

He loves the little rifle and shoots it well but i'm just not happy with the groups that we are getting. 2 1/2 inches at 50 yds.

We are shooting 100 gr. APP w/ 245 gr XTP's in a black harvester sabot. this load is what i shoot out of my Old Traditions Evolution and does very well, so its just where i started.

I would like to stay with APP if I can, since i have a few pounds of it. I am open to suggestions for both powder and bullets though if the groups tighten up. Thanks for any help you can provide!!

Adrian
Old 09-23-2010, 08:14 AM
Banned

With APP you need to seat the bullet hard until you feel the powder compress.

90gr blackhorn209, 295gr powerbelt, cci 209m primers do awesome in both our wolfs.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have been reading good things about Blachorn powder. Been thinkin i might give it a go.
So you have to compress APP harder than other powders?
I just thought you seated till you feel the powder compress with every powder.

Thank you for the speedy reply!! I wish i was at home to try it instead of stuck in school in MI, so it will be a while.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:23 AM
Banned

yep you will want to seat the bullet hard on top of APP until you feel a crunch.

What primers are you using in it? APP-Pyrodex can be very picky with the primer thats used.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Winchester 209 are what i am using for primers.

Do you know why you have to do that with APP? Or is that just the way it is?
Old 09-23-2010, 08:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

If that powder has been open very long it could be the powder it does absorb moisture. Then you will also find that different guns like different bullets. Try a few Shock Waves, And a few 250 gr Gold Dots.
The wolf I am most familiar with shoots best with the 50/40 200gr Shock Wave but it also shoots the 300gr Shock Wave and the 250gr Gold Dot at close to a minute of angle. No two guns like exactly the same things except by coincidence, even guns that are exactly alike on the out side have different stresses in the barrel which causes them to vibrate different when fired.
Also try the new Blackhorn powder if you can get some. The accuracy and potential enegry is very good, and if you do; don't clean the gun till you are done shooting, but do clean it then.

Last edited by lemoyne; 09-23-2010 at 08:36 AM.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:39 AM
Banned

Just the way it is.

APP- Jim Shockeys Gold needs Two things:

A tight fitting sabot / heavy conical and #2, heavy seating pressure.

Its a good accurate powder once you find the right loading process/projectile weight.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ok that makes sense. I'll play around with it once i get back from school for a weekend. I think i may go get some of the Blackhorn too just to see how i like it, as well as a few types and weights of bullets.