Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
209 Primer fouling getting on the bottom of my scope? >

209 Primer fouling getting on the bottom of my scope?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

209 Primer fouling getting on the bottom of my scope?

Old 09-17-2010, 06:33 AM
Fork Horn

Default 209 Primer fouling getting on the bottom of my scope?

I'm sure some of you have seen this, but when I shoot my Traditions Pursuit, the 209 blows out the top of the breech plug and gets fouling all over the bottom of my scope. It's a negligible amount each time, but after 10 shots or so the white fowling is very visible.

My question is, can this effect/hurt my scope? If so is there anything I can do for this?

Thanks!

Greg
Old 09-17-2010, 06:40 AM
Dominant Buck

It can eat the paint off some of the less expensive scopes. I have a Bushnell Banner that has no paint on the bottom of it. A simple fix is take some duct tape and made a scope bikini that covers that area. At the end of the day, take the bikini off, and wipe it clean. The scope stays perfect in shape.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

gbrownlee

It is possible that it could marr the scope, really depends on the temerature of the blow back.

I think there still are a few commercial scope bra's avaiable for the protection of a scope. I have used every thing from a piece of tape to making my own scope wrap.

You can see a home made wrap on this rifle....

Old 09-17-2010, 07:07 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by sabotloader
gbrownlee

It is possible that it could marr the scope, really depends on the temerature of the blow back.

I think there still are a few commercial scope bra's avaiable for the protection of a scope. I have used every thing from a piece of tape to making my own scope wrap.

You can see a home made wrap on this rifle....

Thanks Man! I just bought this scope last week and got it sighted in and noticed the fowling. I will make one of your scope wraps tonight, Kansas season starts Monday so I want to get it on ASAP.

Thanks for your help!

Greg
Old 09-17-2010, 07:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

gbrownlee

Here is a pattern you might try... Underclocked patterned this and posted it along time ago... When I did mine I just attacked and hope for the best...

Might try it and see how it works for you....