Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Got a new TC Triumph and Nikon BDC 300.. Suggestions? >

Got a new TC Triumph and Nikon BDC 300.. Suggestions?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Got a new TC Triumph and Nikon BDC 300.. Suggestions?

Old 09-14-2010, 09:37 AM
Fork Horn

Default Got a new TC Triumph and Nikon BDC 300.. Suggestions?

Well, I finally broke down and bought my first muzzleloader. I usually bowhunt, have tried shotgun, but like the challenge of bowhunting better so I figured muzzleloader would be the best gun choice for me.

I got a TC Triumph with a Nikon Omega BDC 300 scope. I have been told that with that scope/gun combo I need too be using 3 50gr (150gr total) tripple seven pellets w/250gr sabot.

I took the gun to the range, fired 10 rounds and got it hitting the black (10in dia) at 100yds. I figured the bore needed cleaned by that point so I called it a night and headed home.

While I was there, another guy using smokeless powder told me he thought I should be using 50-100gr of charge. I'm hoping one of you knows a little about my setup and can recommend what is all needed from loading to cleaning as it's my first muzzleloader. Any help is much appreciated!
Old 09-14-2010, 10:10 AM
mountaineer magic

My Triumph won't shoot 150 grains accurately. It is the most accurate with 100 up to 130 gr triple seven and 90 to 110 gr Blackhorn209. I personally would recommend 100 gr triple 777 a 250 gr bullet and you would be able to kill deer out to 225 yards with that load. As far as the BDC reticle. If using a 100 gr my 100 and 150 yard circles are right on then the next 2 i use at 175 and 200 yards . If I aim just slightly high with my 250 circle it is good at 225 yards. I can get a 2 to 3 inch group at 200 yards. If you are looking for the challenge of muzzle loading you won't want to be shooting at long range , but rather looking to get up close and personal like bow hunting, so long range shooting isn't an issue. Whatever your goals I think you will find 100 gr accurate and sufficient

Old 09-14-2010, 10:56 AM
Typical Buck

I recently got a TC Encore and put a Nikon Omega BDC 250 on it. I also put the Omega BDC 250 on my Knight as well. Like you said, the BDC is setup for a 250 gr sabotted bullet and 150 gr of powder. I won't be hunting anything bigger than whitetail or black bear right now or shooting long distance (over 150 yds), so I am only shooting 100 gr of powder. I am shooting the 250 gr sabotted bullet though. I figure if I ever get to go after bigger game or somewhere with longer shots, a quick trip to the range to zero in with 150 gr of powder will be all that is needed.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:39 PM
Dominant Buck

It really kind of gets me, the way these muzzle loading companies used market advertising to sell more rifles. Then the scope manufacturers had to jump on the band wagon as well with this magnum craze. Every one needs this new rifle because it shoots 150 grains of powder, and then this scope because it is all set up to shoot dead on at the aim points for you.. Horse Hockey!! We were shooting deer grave yard dead with 70 grains of Goex and a roundball for years, before a inline rifle made the scene. Granted we were not shooting 200 yards with them, but then we never intended to. We got close and made the shot count.

The majority of muzzleloaders while they can handle three 50 grain pellets, do not achieve their greatest accuracy with those kind of charges. Further the uninformed consumer was lead to believe that they needed to shoot magnum powder charges in order to kill anything. It was even suggested that those hunting deer with anything less, heaven forbid a roundball, were under powered, and just not with the game.

What the man at the range was getting at is, you'll most likely get much better accuracy, save money, not beat yourself up with recoil, and still get the job done by shooting 100 grains or two instead of three of the 50 grain pellets. 100 grain charges is a lot of powder and power. Look at the buffalo hunters long ago, they shot much lighter loads then many of us are currently shooting in our rifles. Even so, they killed millions of buffalo.

What I suggest you do is use the pellets to get used to the rifle and get the scope shooting reasonably good. Use two 50 grain pellets. A 250 grain Shockwaves would be a good bullet to shoot, but there are better hunting bullets out there. Remember, T/C has a stake in them Shockwaves so they want you to purchase them. Plus they do shoot well. And are a good hunting load.

When you run out of pellets, get some loose powder. I am sure some of the Triumph and Omega owners can give you some real good hints on the powder to shoot, the amount to shoot and the bullets that will best serve the kind of hunting you do. You got a great rifle and scope and it will serve you a life time. Learn what it likes. Good luck with it.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:52 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by IA Buck Hunter
Well, I finally broke down and bought my first muzzleloader. I usually bowhunt, have tried shotgun, but like the challenge of bowhunting better so I figured muzzleloader would be the best gun choice for me.

I got a TC Triumph with a Nikon Omega BDC 300 scope. I have been told that with that scope/gun combo I need too be using 3 50gr (150gr total) tripple seven pellets w/250gr sabot.

I took the gun to the range, fired 10 rounds and got it hitting the black (10in dia) at 100yds. I figured the bore needed cleaned by that point so I called it a night and headed home.

While I was there, another guy using smokeless powder told me he thought I should be using 50-100gr of charge. I'm hoping one of you knows a little about my setup and can recommend what is all needed from loading to cleaning as it's my first muzzleloader. Any help is much appreciated!
I shoot an Omega with a 3x9x40 Nikon scope(no BDC) My hunting load is 115gr 777/3Fg and a 260gr Nosler Partition bullet in a Nosler 45/50 sabot. I am point blank out to 175 yds. Start at 100 gr and work up slowly.Find the sweet load for your rifle as they are all a little different.

Have fun--Charlie
Old 09-14-2010, 03:07 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys, I will try to use 100gr (2 pellets) and see if that works better. I'm sure the relief in recoil will be nice... To some of you Triumph owners, is there a specific powder/bullet combo that works well for you?? Also, do you clean the gun every 1 shot, 3 shots, 5 shots, etc...?

Anyone that shoots with the Nikon Omega BDC scope please tell me any info you have on what you shoot powder/bullet, and the accurate yardage your getting for the reticles.

Like I said this is my first muzzleloader, and I'm just trying to learn as much as I can without buying every bullet/powder on the market. Thanks for all the input, I appreciate it!
Old 09-14-2010, 03:38 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by IA Buck Hunter
Thanks guys, I will try to use 100gr (2 pellets) and see if that works better. I'm sure the relief in recoil will be nice... To some of you Triumph owners, is there a specific powder/bullet combo that works well for you?? Also, do you clean the gun every 1 shot, 3 shots, 5 shots, etc...?

Anyone that shoots with the Nikon Omega BDC scope please tell me any info you have on what you shoot powder/bullet, and the accurate yardage your getting for the reticles.

Like I said this is my first muzzleloader, and I'm just trying to learn as much as I can without buying every bullet/powder on the market. Thanks for all the input, I appreciate it!
I shoot a TC Encore and Knight Revolution and not the Triumph, but I am shooting Hornady SST 250 sabotted bullets with two, 50 gr pellets of Pyrodex in both. I run a wet patch and then a dry patch after every shot. From what I have read here, the TC Shockwaves are Hornady SST bullets as well. I am getting shots that touch or almost touch with this combination in both.

I do have a problem with the Knight that a cold barrel is throwing the first shot about 2" high and 2" right. I am adjusting the scope for the first shot as this is a hunting gun and not a target gun.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:04 PM
Typical Buck

I pretty much have the same setup, gun and scope wise. After sometime figuring it out. I use 90 grains of Blackhorn209 (lose), 300 grain XTP MAG (for elk and deer), and harvester crushed rib sabots. With dead on at 100 yards I have to use the third circle to be on at 200 yards. Now the scope says that should be 250, but that is all air depended on powder and bullet weight. For 300 yards I have to use the bottom thick black line and put the beginning of it on the deer's back. Not that I will shot at 300, but I figured it out non-the-less
Old 09-15-2010, 09:39 AM
Fork Horn

I have the TC Triumph and shoot 2 pellets or 100gr of 777 with a 250grain shockwave unbonded bullet and the factory supplied black sabot.

I tried the three pellets load and found the 2 pellet was the best for me. 2" groups at 100 yards. I am sure I could get some loose powder and fine tune that, but I like the convienence of pellets.

Cleaning: I do a complete breakdown and clean of the rifle after every shot. I start the year / hunt with a clean dry barrel, so I want to know where that first shot will hit every time. I have tested loading 3 rounds without cleaning and did not see a noticeable change in accuracy. The bullet was much harder to load on consectutive shots without cleaning. I would recommend running a spit patch and dry patch down the barrel between shots at the very least. But again, I am more of the one shot and clean for accuracy.

You have a pretty good starter point on your setup. Drop the powder down to 2 pellets and get some range time. Try and make a point to keep everything you do (load, aim, bullet, sabot, powder, cleaning, etc...) consistent from shot to shot. Then once you know where that routine hits, you can change one thing at a time and know the result.

Good Luck and enjoy!
Old 09-15-2010, 03:07 PM
Fork Horn

Is there any differences in using the 777 pellets, or loose powder such as one burns cleaner/leaves less residue, is more/less accurate, etc? It seems that most are using the Hornady SST 250 sabot, does this seem to be the most accurate using the 777 pellets? Thanks again!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.