Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Lubricating sabots >

Lubricating sabots

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Lubricating sabots

Old 09-15-2010, 07:02 PM
Spike

Default Lubricating sabots

Has anyone given any thought to using either mica or molybdenum disulfide on sabots for ease of loading, or whether it will change the speed or dynamics of the sabot/bullet moving down the barrel?
Old 09-15-2010, 07:09 PM
Dominant Buck

sabots do not need to be lubricated, but there are some people that do. Personally if the sabot loads hard, I use a little spit on it. Not much, just enough to get it to slip down the bore better. Does it make a difference? It makes me happy.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

moridgerunner

You really have to be careful there... with the modern ML the lands and grooves are so shallow that a lubricant can cause the sabot to slip across the lands instead of twisting with the lands.

The material that modern sabots are made of is self lubricating...

If you are loading a sabot that tough to load I would suggest search for another sabot - in 45/50 caliber there are a ton of different thicknesses of sabots, even the 44/50 has a couple of options....

I like Cayugad often roll the outside base (keep the moisture out of the cup) of the sabot on my tongue, just before inserting it into the muzzle... plus I always place the sabot in the muzzle the same way - I always put a petal under the front sight or where the front sight should be.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sabots are made to be self lubricating. So far all any one trying to lubricate them has accomplished is to make a mess.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:25 AM
Spike

Thanks for your knowledge. Sabotloader, that is the same routine I use on broadhead tuning - one blade up!