Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
In the Rock Pit with the Knight 52 >

In the Rock Pit with the Knight 52

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

In the Rock Pit with the Knight 52

Old 09-03-2010, 10:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default In the Rock Pit with the Knight 52

And not a thing to show for it except the smile on my face. Did not even get a pciture because I left the camera at home... and the fact that I am now faced with a delima... This 52 might be better than I thought. Not just it's accuracy - but it will even more versitile than I originally thought.

But, back to the point, I did go to the Rock Pit with great plans of getting a bunch of velocities and comparisions of T7-2f and BH shooting 3 different bullets...

Two problems arose... I went early this morning to beat anyone else that might be sighting in trying to get ready for the up-coming hunting seasons. It was a perfect day a little warm but a clear day with only a few clouds. That was the key problem - early and clear.... The pit lies and you shoot from the the west to east... Well guess what the sun comes up in the east and when it comes up over the pit it shines right on the chrono. No matter what I did with the sun screens I could not beat the angle of the early morning sun. It beat right on the sensors and it really made it also made it difficult to get a good picture through the scope especially on 9x... I was only able to get 6 shots throught the chrono before it went wacky and found it easier to measure the sabot than the bullet...

I got three velocities with 120 grains of T7 and 3 with 120 grains of BH-209 (charges thrown on site) shooting a .458/300 grain Sierra bullet.

T7
1. 1868 fps
2. 1842 fps
3. 1860 fps

BH-209
1. 1915 fps
2. 1895 fps
3. 1910 fps

Not a significant difference but a difference... from there the chrono became sun baked and could not read from shot to shot...

Well, since I drove all the way out there I decided I still want to get something done just to feel good about the gas I wasted. So I moved the chrono out of the way and decided to contiue burning powder.

If you have seen pictures of the rock wall in the pit you have seen it is littered with breakable targets, so I decided to take my frustration out on the breakable targets - try to break them up even smaller... It was fun enjoyable and did cause me to reconsider my thoughts about this 52 cal Knight.

If you have not read Chetmarks remarks about his thoughts on the Knight Extreme... it is a good read, but more importantly - it is well verified with this particular Knight 52.
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blac...ht-rifles.html

And my biggest complaints about the lack of versitility of the 52 are also going away. It really could be and might be an all-around gun for hunting all of North America. The only thing I am not sure of in that statement would be it's or any ML ability to handle big bear. But other than that it might be the one gun you could across the country from thin skinned whitetail to the heaviest moose.

It was a great Friday morning - hope all of yours were good also...

Last edited by sabotloader; 09-03-2010 at 11:23 AM.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

The 52cal is very interesting. I'm actually pretty excited to shoot in the morning.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:16 PM
Typical Buck

Sabotloader would you and Tom please stop talking about those Knight rifles. The season is just around the corner and all I want is a Knight rifle now.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

I wonder how the PowerStem and T7 would compare to what you already measured? Ive never tried mine but the little data i did find showed pretty much matched BH209 except with the heaviest bullet in a 52cal LRH. I think some of the 275gr bullets were even faster with it.

That target you posted was sweet though. Nice rise comparison as the load went up and BAM smoking group with a heavy charge.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

jaybez101099

But that is really hard to do.... it shoots so good and looks really good too... well, anyway I think so...

Just do not look at the mess around it - I am trying to clean the area up - I need to load some shotgun shells.....

Old 09-03-2010, 05:45 PM
mountaineer magic

It sure is nice looking. You should let me try that out when I go Elk hunting this year in Utah.All this talking about it makes
me think I need a 52 now. If you decide you don't like it let me know.

Old 09-03-2010, 05:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
I wonder how the PowerStem and T7 would compare to what you already measured? Ive never tried mine but the little data i did find showed pretty much matched BH209 except with the heaviest bullet in a 52cal LRH. I think some of the 275gr bullets were even faster with it.
The Power Stem should increase the velocity using T7. Lehigh Dave suggested the frontal ignition system a long time ago as a way to increase velocity. I just do not like the thought that I can not clean the bore to the bottom with out removing the breech plug. But to the question I have never ran a power stem through a chrono - so I am also relying what i have read from others. Might be a good thing to do this spring.

That target you posted was sweet though. Nice rise comparison as the load went up and BAM smoking group with a heavy charge.
I just wish I could have run the comparison I had planned for this morning... time is really running out fast for me to do much experimenting as Elk season is just around the corner...
Old 09-03-2010, 05:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by chetmarks
It sure is nice looking. You should let me try that out when I go Elk hunting this year in Utah.All this talking about it makes
me think I need a 52 now. If you decide you don't like it let me know.
I was really hoping that I would not like it but it really has grown on me. I got it because I thought the price was right and the 1/26 twist really appealed to me. I really wanted to shoot some .475's also.

When is your hunt in Utah?
Old 09-03-2010, 05:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Im going to be swamped this weekend too getting ready but still socializing down at the river. The guys love blowing up jugs with them so i saved up a couple dozen.

Im testing a plug Ron made from scratch with a larger vent liner pocket in the Accura 45. Not quite as large as the Lehigh but over 45cal. Head spaces perfect with shorter primers and the Fiochiis.

Try out my 2 favorites in the GMB54 and site it in with the winner and do the same with a couple heavy loads in the Elite 45 and mag primers for the cold. The Extreme 50 and LK 54 are done though.

Finally a Saturday with a high of only 74F.!!!!!!
Old 09-03-2010, 05:59 PM
mountaineer magic

Knights have a way of growing on you the more you shoot them. I know that the more you shoot it the less the chance you will ever part with it so you might as well get rid of it now.My hunt is a late season hunt , I have to check but I think it is at the end of the year

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.