Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
I need a new Ballistic Shooting Program? >

I need a new Ballistic Shooting Program?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I need a new Ballistic Shooting Program?

Old 08-29-2010, 05:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking I need a new Ballistic Shooting Program?

I need a new ballistic program to record all my reload and shooting data. I have a program now, Point Blank, which is not giving me what I need and is very limited. It had many good options and I could only wish the creator would take the time to upgrade it. I would pay for that for sure. As of now, I just need more then it has at this point.

So far I have found a program called "The Shooting Lab." It is loaded with probably more options then I can use, but it appears very capable for the price.

What is everyone using and what would you recomend?
Old 08-29-2010, 05:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Be sure to back it up with CD's. My shooting computer blew its IDE and I may have lost everything. We have been trying to get stuff off that hard drive to put in a different computer but getting only bits and pieces.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Question

Originally Posted by lemoyne
Be sure to back it up with CD's. My shooting computer blew its IDE and I may have lost everything. We have been trying to get stuff off that hard drive to put in a different computer but getting only bits and pieces.
Hey Lee, sorry to hear that. But what program are you using for your data?
Old 08-29-2010, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have been using Lee Shooter for years now. Originally i used it in DOS, but recently upgraded to a Windows Shooter. I store load data, and serial numbers, and ballistic information using this program. It was quite inexpensive is why i started using it. It isn't probably the best, but it is all i have ever used.

The ballistic information is in chart form, with no graph. Calculated ballistics have matched real life data very closely out to a measured 290 yard. I have used the information from the calculated ballistics to kill antelope out to a shy 600 yard. If anything, real life data is better than the calculations; i thought this was because i have only shot rifles in dry air at higher elevations.

Graf usually has Shooter, but i see it is currently out of stock.
Old 08-29-2010, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Thanks Ron
Old 08-29-2010, 07:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

All I use is the Handloads.com on-line Ballistic Calculator. http://www.handloads.com/calc/

It's pretty basic, but simple is all I need. My operating system is Vista, which has a "Snipping Tool" as its screen capture feature. I use the snipping tool to save the chart produced by the calculator to a picture file. (Sample below) The notation in blue on the upper left hand corner of the chart was added with "Paint" after the snip picture file was saved.

Last edited by Semisane; 08-29-2010 at 07:05 AM.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:47 AM
Dominant Buck

Ballistics?? What's that?

I have no chronograph, so I depend on you people a lot more then you might think.

For my I have paper and computer journals for each rifle. And believe me, that is a lot of journals. I just write load information on the paper one. You know, Date, Time, Weather, Rifle, Powder, Time of Day, projectile, Distance, etc.. On my computer , I have file for each rifle and basically enter the same kind of information and like to throw photos in there. I do not list the ballistic of the load. But then I never worry about them as long as the bullet has enough power and behaves as I suspect it will. Also my shots here as so short, that ballistic is much less important then someone like you or Sabotloader, Grouse, Lee, and others.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

rafsob

For myself I use a computer program that I got from Barnes several years ago. It is an outstanding program - it allows you to do a ton of different things.... just not sure it is available from Barnes any longer - do not see it on their website but it would certainly be worth a phone call it you might be able to get one...

Here is a simple print out...

Old 08-29-2010, 01:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Dave:

I did it your way for so long. When I got that freeware program, it made it so much easier a lot faster.

Sabotloader:

That is what I am looking for. Something that will record my test loads and hunting loads. It also gives mean idea of the velocity and drop so I don't have to wing it in the field.

An other item they have is an inventory system. This is great because if I go before my wife, she would have a garage sale and let my treasure go for a song.

I will see if Barnes still has the prorgam.

Thanksto all that have taken the time to give me a hand.
Old 08-29-2010, 02:19 PM
Typical Buck

Let me know if Barnes has the program rafsob. I might have to pick that up if they do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.