HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   I need a new Ballistic Shooting Program? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/328678-i-need-new-ballistic-shooting-program.html)

rafsob 08-29-2010 05:32 AM

I need a new Ballistic Shooting Program?

I need a new ballistic program to record all my reload and shooting data. I have a program now, Point Blank, which is not giving me what I need and is very limited. It had many good options and I could only wish the creator would take the time to upgrade it. I would pay for that for sure. As of now, I just need more then it has at this point.

So far I have found a program called "The Shooting Lab." It is loaded with probably more options then I can use, but it appears very capable for the price.

What is everyone using and what would you recomend?

lemoyne 08-29-2010 05:39 AM

Be sure to back it up with CD's. My shooting computer blew its IDE and I may have lost everything. We have been trying to get stuff off that hard drive to put in a different computer but getting only bits and pieces.

rafsob 08-29-2010 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by lemoyne (Post 3671965)
Be sure to back it up with CD's. My shooting computer blew its IDE and I may have lost everything. We have been trying to get stuff off that hard drive to put in a different computer but getting only bits and pieces.

Hey Lee, sorry to hear that. But what program are you using for your data?

ronlaughlin 08-29-2010 06:49 AM

I have been using Lee Shooter for years now. Originally i used it in DOS, but recently upgraded to a Windows Shooter. I store load data, and serial numbers, and ballistic information using this program. It was quite inexpensive is why i started using it. It isn't probably the best, but it is all i have ever used.

The ballistic information is in chart form, with no graph. Calculated ballistics have matched real life data very closely out to a measured 290 yard. I have used the information from the calculated ballistics to kill antelope out to a shy 600 yard. If anything, real life data is better than the calculations; i thought this was because i have only shot rifles in dry air at higher elevations.

Graf usually has Shooter, but i see it is currently out of stock.

rafsob 08-29-2010 06:57 AM

Thanks Ron

Semisane 08-29-2010 07:00 AM

All I use is the Handloads.com on-line Ballistic Calculator. http://www.handloads.com/calc/

It's pretty basic, but simple is all I need. My operating system is Vista, which has a "Snipping Tool" as its screen capture feature. I use the snipping tool to save the chart produced by the calculator to a picture file. (Sample below) The notation in blue on the upper left hand corner of the chart was added with "Paint" after the snip picture file was saved.

cayugad 08-29-2010 07:47 AM

Ballistics?? What's that? :biggrin:

I have no chronograph, so I depend on you people a lot more then you might think.

For my :fighting0007: I have paper and computer journals for each rifle. And believe me, that is a lot of journals. I just write load information on the paper one. You know, Date, Time, Weather, Rifle, Powder, Time of Day, projectile, Distance, etc.. On my computer :pcwhack:, I have file for each rifle and basically enter the same kind of information and like to throw photos in there. I do not list the ballistic of the load. But then I never worry about them as long as the bullet has enough power and behaves as I suspect it will. Also my shots here as so short, that ballistic is much less important then someone like you or Sabotloader, Grouse, Lee, and others.

sabotloader 08-29-2010 08:14 AM

rafsob

For myself I use a computer program that I got from Barnes several years ago. It is an outstanding program - it allows you to do a ton of different things.... just not sure it is available from Barnes any longer - do not see it on their website but it would certainly be worth a phone call it you might be able to get one...

Here is a simple print out...

rafsob 08-29-2010 01:51 PM

Dave:

I did it your way for so long. When I got that freeware program, it made it so much easier a lot faster.

Sabotloader:

That is what I am looking for. Something that will record my test loads and hunting loads. It also gives mean idea of the velocity and drop so I don't have to wing it in the field.

An other item they have is an inventory system. This is great because if I go before my wife, she would have a garage sale and let my treasure go for a song. :bash:

I will see if Barnes still has the prorgam.

Thanksto all that have taken the time to give me a hand. :happy0001:

50calty 08-29-2010 02:19 PM

Let me know if Barnes has the program rafsob. I might have to pick that up if they do.