Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Found a Flintlock. >

Found a Flintlock.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Found a Flintlock.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:05 PM
Typical Buck

Default Found a Flintlock.

As most of you guys know I've been looking for a flintlock. I found a TC Renegade 1:48 .50 cal 27" barrel Flintlock for $310. From the pics it looks really good. Some handling marks but nothing major. Is the price right and would it be a good first flintlock rifle? Also is there a way down the road to change the barrel to a .54 cal and 1:70 twist? I looked on Green Mountain but it only listed a percus. I really want a flintlock, but I just dont want to blow money on something that I'm not going to like. Is the twist of 1:48 going to get me accuracy. I've heard that the twist isn't great for cronicals nor round balls. Is that true? Thanks Guys.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:16 PM
Dominant Buck

As most of you guys know I've been looking for a flintlock. I found a TC Renegade 1:48 .50 cal 27" barrel Flintlock for $310. From the pics it looks really good. Some handling marks but nothing major. Is the price right and would it be a good first flintlock rifle? It would be an excellent rifle. As to whether it is worth the money, a flintlock Renegade is hard to find. If you wanted a rifle bad, then it would be worth the money. Although I think you might find one cheaper used. But then again, maybe not. Flintlocks are getting more and more expensive lately. So it the rifle is in real good shape, that might be a fair price. New it would be over $500.00. Also is there a way down the road to change the barrel to a .54 cal and 1:70 twist? I looked on Green Mountain but it only listed a percus. Call Kerry at GMB and talk to her. See if they are going to make a run on the drop in barrels in flintlock. There are some out there on the market floating around. The nice thing is with a Renegade, they are 1 inch on the flats. So that means any of the barrels could technically fit the stock just fine. Although I would look for a one inch on the flats rifle. I really want a flintlock, but I just dont want to blow money on something that I'm not going to like. The Renegade is a good rifle. Whether you are going to like the 1-48 twist is hard to say. And whether you find a new drop in barrel, that will run you another couple hundred. You might be better off getting a brand new Lyman Great Plains rifle in 1-60 twist in flintlock. They are out there and would save you a little money. Since it looks like you really want a roundball barrel. And I do not blame you. Is the twist of 1:48 going to get me accuracy. I've heard that the twist isn't great for cronicals nor round balls. Is that true? For years, I have heard people tell me that a 1-48 twist will not shoot roundball well or conical. I personally do not believe that. I have numerous rifles with that twist and all of them are good shooters. Now if you are talking match shooting at extreme distances, that might not be the twist for you. But if you're looking for a good hunting rifle, and one that is fun to shoot at the range for under 100 yards. I think you would be more then satisfied with that twist. Thanks Guys.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hey 50calty, I almost hate to tell you about this one. But if you want a .54 (which I wholeheartedly endorse) look here.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/view...ight=flintlock
Old 08-13-2010, 04:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

What about a new Lyman in .54???

I'm the type that would rather go ahead and get what I want and keep it...
Old 08-13-2010, 04:35 AM
Typical Buck

Semisane, I remember another gent posted that link a while back and when I got there the gun was sold. I would like a .54, put I'm really not in a great demand as of yet. Also in Montana I can easily find .50 round balls and .54 I would most likely have to order. Thats why it would probably be something down the road, like a year or so before I did something like that. With the deal on the flintlock and even buying a new barrel is still cheaper than a new Lyman. This would be my first sidelock ever, so I dont want to spend too much money if for some reason i find out its not for me. (Which I kinda doubt, but you never know). I emailed the guy asking for more pics so we will see what happens. Anyone else have any suggestions?
Old 08-13-2010, 05:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

I tried every caliber from 40 to 62 the 54 is best for hunting the North America.
The 1-48 twist is quite good actually the difference is that the accurate load are a bit lower in powder charge.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Instead of buying .530 balls for a .54, buy a mold and make your own...I haven't bought a round ball in over 30 years...I use a .40 and a .54...Within a few hours, I have enough to shoot all year...

I have Rapine bag molds for both but have recently added a .530 Lee mold, for only $18...Semisane posted about this mold on sale last month, so I snapped one up...
Old 08-13-2010, 04:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here you go, for just $95 more you can get a brand new Lyman flintlock in kit form...Just put it together and hunt...

http://www.tjgeneralstore.com/lyman.htm