HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Found a Flintlock.
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2010, 08:16 PM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

As most of you guys know I've been looking for a flintlock. I found a TC Renegade 1:48 .50 cal 27" barrel Flintlock for $310. From the pics it looks really good. Some handling marks but nothing major. Is the price right and would it be a good first flintlock rifle? It would be an excellent rifle. As to whether it is worth the money, a flintlock Renegade is hard to find. If you wanted a rifle bad, then it would be worth the money. Although I think you might find one cheaper used. But then again, maybe not. Flintlocks are getting more and more expensive lately. So it the rifle is in real good shape, that might be a fair price. New it would be over $500.00. Also is there a way down the road to change the barrel to a .54 cal and 1:70 twist? I looked on Green Mountain but it only listed a percus. Call Kerry at GMB and talk to her. See if they are going to make a run on the drop in barrels in flintlock. There are some out there on the market floating around. The nice thing is with a Renegade, they are 1 inch on the flats. So that means any of the barrels could technically fit the stock just fine. Although I would look for a one inch on the flats rifle. I really want a flintlock, but I just dont want to blow money on something that I'm not going to like. The Renegade is a good rifle. Whether you are going to like the 1-48 twist is hard to say. And whether you find a new drop in barrel, that will run you another couple hundred. You might be better off getting a brand new Lyman Great Plains rifle in 1-60 twist in flintlock. They are out there and would save you a little money. Since it looks like you really want a roundball barrel. And I do not blame you. Is the twist of 1:48 going to get me accuracy. I've heard that the twist isn't great for cronicals nor round balls. Is that true? For years, I have heard people tell me that a 1-48 twist will not shoot roundball well or conical. I personally do not believe that. I have numerous rifles with that twist and all of them are good shooters. Now if you are talking match shooting at extreme distances, that might not be the twist for you. But if you're looking for a good hunting rifle, and one that is fun to shoot at the range for under 100 yards. I think you would be more then satisfied with that twist. Thanks Guys.