Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 weighing blackpowder charge ? >

weighing blackpowder charge ?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

weighing blackpowder charge ?

Old 07-04-2003, 07:07 AM

Default weighing blackpowder charge ?

Has any of you people ever weighed your powder charges instead of measuring them ? I have been noticing other sites where people are doing this and claiming that they are getting fantastic groups. Just wondering, I always have just used the tried true method of a powder measure with good success, just want to know if it is worth the bother ?
Old 07-04-2003, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: weighing blackpowder charge ?

It' s worth the bother if you are going for fantastic groups (which I happen to like ) or plan to shoot at very long range. For normal BP hunting ranges, the volumetric measure is fine. Consistency is the key to good accuracy either way.

The way I approach this is by throwing a hunting charge by volume and then matching the weight of that charge for each subsequent charge on the scales. Keep a few of the pre-weighed charges in my speedloaders for hunting or several in individual containers if going to the range. Using that method if I run out of premeasured charges, my powder measure will throw a near equal and similar performing charge. Hope that made sense!
Old 07-04-2003, 11:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, I did this when I first started shooting BP in order to determine if there was any measurable difference between measured and weighed charges. I tested the two methods for accuracy (group size) and for variation in muzzle velocities also. I found there is NO statistically significant difference in either performance factor, IF the measured charges are measured in a very uniform way. To do this, I pour the measure full to the top, then tap it five times on the side with the wooden handle of a small screwdriver, refill the meaure back to the top (the powder settles about 0.25" due to tapping), then strike it off flush with a card. Using this method, you can cut powder charge weight variation to less than half a grain for a measured charge.
Old 07-06-2003, 09:14 PM
Spike

I used to weigh my BP loads (carry over from loading smokeless) Had mixed results. Then downloaded Hodgdon' s info and they say NOTto weigh, but use bulk measure. They say that if you insist on weighing, to weigh and record each of 10 loads and average them out for that batchof powder. They claim that Pyrodex is made to equal black powder by bulk, not weight, and the weight can vary from lot to lot - therefore the advice not to weigh, but use bulk. When I went to bulk measuring things got better.
Old 07-08-2003, 07:26 AM

I' ve never weighed my BP loads - I just go through the same steps, the same way each time a load and get accuracey that will work fine for hunting.

One note on weighing charges - Black powder and all the substitutes (Pyrodex, T7...) have different weights for a given volume. These powders are designed to be a volumeteric replacement for back powder, and not a weight to weight replacement. What this boils down to is - if you switch from one powder to another, you need to first measure (by volume) your powder charge, then weigh it.

Old 07-13-2003, 01:10 PM
Typical Buck

I have to " weigh in" with eldequello' s method. I' ve tried weighing charges and found them less accurate than using my volume measure.
A consistent method like eldequello' s is the sure fire way to consistent accuracy.

BTW...........I only tap my neasure twice when using 777 because it is cut finer & compresses more easily than black or Pyro.