Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
New Spotting Scope >

New Spotting Scope

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New Spotting Scope

Old 07-18-2010, 12:36 PM
Typical Buck

Default New Spotting Scope

Just alittle information for anyone wanting a spotting scope. Picked up the new Redfield Rampage Spotting Scope and used it at the range today. Nice and clear optics. Was in the mid 80s and it didn't pick up much heat waves even on 60 power beyond 300 yards. You could see alittle bit, but you can still tell where your shots are on paper and I'm sure you could count the points on a animal. So for only 220 I can't complain. Ive played around with more expensive optics and not have the clarity of this Redfield.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:49 PM
Banned

redfield from the past has always seemed to put out good products, my brother had one of his .270 that he bought darn near 15-16 years ago.

I plan on getting a new spotting scope myself, i'll check this one out for sure.

What kind of powder adjustments is it? I was looking for something thats adjustable from 15 to 40x
Old 07-18-2010, 03:38 PM
Typical Buck

The Rampage is 20-60x. So alittle bit bigger than what your wanting, but for the price its a hell of a deal. The optics don't even shrink to the size of pin hole on 60x.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hate to be the "bringer of bad tidings", but mirage is what the long range shooters use to determine wind deflection. The mirage is used to determine how much windage to add to the bullet. Not seeing heat mirage is a bad thing if good quality glass is what you are after. Good quality glass shows every bit of mirage. That is why your higher quality spotting scopes have a lower power selection, the lower the power the less mirage you will see in high quality glass. Usually the trade off is between 16X to 20X.

So by not seeing mirage on a hot sunny day is actually a bad thing-especially at higher powers of magnification. If the glass was of good quality then everything would show up(including all mirage). Which you say it wasn't?? Tom.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
redfield from the past has always seemed to put out good products, my brother had one of his .270 that he bought darn near 15-16 years ago.

I plan on getting a new spotting scope myself, i'll check this one out for sure.

What kind of powder adjustments is it? I was looking for something thats adjustable from 15 to 40x

If you are in the market right now then take a look at Doug at CameraLand. He is offering the 20-45X Minox right now for $449. And that is a steal of a deal. These are "show specials". However mine came brand new in cellophane. I just bought one for range glass. It normally costs over $800. And Minox is one of the underrated optics. I was looking at a Sycamore leaf yesterday off my front porch. At 175 yards I could see the "veins" in the Sycamore tree leaves. Fantastic "definition".

Currently I was using a Leupold "Gold Ring" straight 25X spotter. This new Minox is substantially better than the Leupold. I wanted a Swaro or Zeiss, but just did not pull the trigger. I do not use a spotter that much. But what really intrigued me about the Minox is that they also offer a 40X digiscoping camera for $169 that takes great pictures. And I have always wanted one of those. And the camera has a remote!! Tom.

Last edited by HEAD0001; 07-19-2010 at 04:34 AM.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:08 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the heads-up. I was in Altoona, IA this weekend and checked out the Bass Pros Shop. They were all sold out of the Redfield Rampages. The clerk said Redfield was bought by Leupold and they were really good for the price. LAter, I stopped at Scheels in Iowa City and viewed one there along with a Burris but did not pull the trigger and get one for $219.00. When I got home, I looked at them on the Bass Pro Shops website and they were $219.00 as well. I was able to sign up for a promotion and get $1 shipping so I ordered one since returning to the other stores wasn't an option.