Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Knight Rifles coming back to the market! >

Knight Rifles coming back to the market!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Knight Rifles coming back to the market!

Old 07-10-2010, 04:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jon I am trying hard but I can't see what your point is. I know you like the CVA's and that they send you some freebees and stuff. I am also convinced that they are putting out a lot better product than they use to. Even the older ones didn't seem so bad to me, My first gun was a Winchester Apex and it shot great. But you don't have to run down other guns to promote your choice. How does shooting a heavy conical make you blow out unburnt powder. I just don't see the relationship. In fact when I shoot heavy conicals I use less than 80 grains of powder and I bet it gets used up pretty efficiently. Do you know something that the rest of the shooting world doesn't?
Old 07-10-2010, 06:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

flounder33

I shoot a .503/460 grain Bull Shop Conical from both my GM fast twist sidelocks and from the inlines shooting 90 grains of T7-3f and shooting across a chrono I know I am effeciently buring the powder. I have even checked it across the snow...

Here is the ballistic table for that load... works very well for me...

Old 07-10-2010, 06:47 PM
Banned

im talkin the big mag charges with loose powder. Some here seem to knock the 100gr limit they put in the manual although if you call, they wont have a problem with you shooting 110-120. Actually the Apex's limit is 110gr. These figures are basically based on the testing they do and they find anything over 100gr starts to get thrown out burnt. Again, this is older info, with the design changes in their BP's over the years they probably just use those limits for now.

I can tell you though, 100gr white hots, 80gr 3f APP, a 300gr Thor and a 300gr Powerbelt Platinum this evening, left me with a bandaid on my nose. Im not sure what the fireworks looked like coming out of the barrel, my vision had turned black My Accura is safe though.

Winchester Apex was a nice one, i had the .45 model. Then the X-150 was my beauty back then.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flounder33
Jon I am trying hard but I can't see what your point is. I know you like the CVA's and that they send you some freebees and stuff. I am also convinced that they are putting out a lot better product than they use to. Even the older ones didn't seem so bad to me, My first gun was a Winchester Apex and it shot great. But you don't have to run down other guns to promote your choice. How does shooting a heavy conical make you blow out unburnt powder. I just don't see the relationship. In fact when I shoot heavy conicals I use less than 80 grains of powder and I bet it gets used up pretty efficiently. Do you know something that the rest of the shooting world doesn't?

Actually it is just the opposite of what he said. The larger the bullet, the more powder will burn before leaving the barrel. The larger bullet creates nmore pressure, and hence longer time in the barrel to push out the heaiver projectile, and to create a higher pressure. That is why heavier bullets need lower charges to attain max velocity for the heavier projectile. Tom.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:07 PM
Banned

most shooters dont shoot heavy bullets and i never mentioned bullet weight in my original post about throwing out unburnt powder. Big loads was meant as shooting magnum powder charges. Big bullets these dont make up the muzzleloading world, its the smaller 250 and below.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
most shooters dont shoot heavy bullets and i never mentioned bullet weight in my original post about throwing out unburnt powder. Big loads was meant as shooting magnum powder charges. Big bullets these dont make up the muzzleloading world, its the smaller 250 and below.

In the real MZ world the round ball is the main projectile. Definitely not bullets under the weight of 250 grains. I do not know the real numbers but my guess is that for every one bullet under 250 grains shot, there is probably fifty round balls shot in MZ's.

This is a specialty forum. And is frequented by guys who are on the cutting edge of MZ shooting. And guys who are die hard MZ shooters. We are very very far from the average MZ shooter.

Heck the average MZ shooter can not even hit a target at 150 yards with any MZ.

And also in the real world of MZ shooting there are a lot of guys shooting conicals. Heck sabots have only been around for 25 years or so. And are illegal to even hunt with in some states.

There are alot more big loading, big bullet shooting guys out there than you think. Heck I would not doubt it a bit if there wasn't more factory conicals in variety than their is sabots?? Tom.