Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Some .58 Ball Velocity Data >

Some .58 Ball Velocity Data

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Some .58 Ball Velocity Data

Old 06-13-2010, 10:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Using Cayugad's figure of .066 BC for the .570 ball (even though mine are .575) and an average velocity of 1500 fps, I produced these trajectory tables with the Handloads.com ballistic calculator.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Semisane,
Have you ever tried Swiss BP? I heard the velocities are better and more consistent. I have never tried it to verify.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have not tried Swiss Grouse. I've seen those reports also. My experimental side wants to get a pound to play around with, but my practical side keeps vetoing the purchase.

Round ball shooting is what it is - a hundred yard hunting proposition (maybe even out to 150 yards under absolutely perfect conditions). Increasing the velocity of a .58 ball from 1500 fps to 16, 17 or even 1800 fps improves trajectory, but not by a whole lot.

My last case of GOEX cost $11.80 a pound. So my practical side, which is afraid that Swiss may be so good that I'll get hooked on it, keeps arguing that while Swiss may give higher velocities, it won't improve my shooting.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:11 PM
Dominant Buck

very interesting numbers. It is about what I expected.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
I have not tried Swiss Grouse. I've seen those reports also. My experimental side wants to get a pound to play around with, but my practical side keeps vetoing the purchase.

Round ball shooting is what it is - a hundred yard hunting proposition (maybe even out to 150 yards under absolutely perfect conditions). Increasing the velocity of a .58 ball from 1500 fps to 16, 17 or even 1800 fps improves trajectory, but not by a whole lot.

My last case of GOEX cost $11.80 a pound. So my practical side, which is afraid that Swiss may be so good that I'll get hooked on it, keeps arguing that while Swiss may give higher velocities, it won't improve my shooting.
So i take it as Swiss is expensive???? I don't think it's available around here.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

So i take it as Swiss is expensive???? I don't think it's available around here.
From places like Powder Inc. or Grafts & Sons, GOEX runs around $13/$14 a pound and Swiss around $20/$21 a pound.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by lemoyne
Rafsob
Have you tried Pyrodex P for conicals in your 58? That's what gave me the best results. I think that it upsets the lead better,other wise it is hard to get them to shoot accurate. With a paper cross patch and P the 400gr shoot decent. Lee
As much as it would kill me to put something other then the holy black in my sidelocks, I will try it. I am open to new ideas Lee. I think I may just have some of that stuff laying around.