Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
New Triumph is a smoker (picture) >

New Triumph is a smoker (picture)

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New Triumph is a smoker (picture)

Old 04-19-2010, 05:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default New Triumph is a smoker (picture)

When I got home today from work the Big Brown truck was in my driveway delivering my new Triumph muzzleloader.

After spending some time, cleaning the barrel and running some JB bore paste patches through the barrel, I cleaned it again. Mounted a 4 -12 Leupold scope on my Leupold QR bases. I premeasured 13 tubes with 78.0 gr (weighed) of Blackhorn 209.and headed to the range. It took 4 shots to get zeroed in at 100 yards.

My very first group I decided to try an old favorite deer load.
300 gr Barnes MZ with EZ load sabots harvester Long pedal
78.0 grains of Blackhorn
Federal 209A
0.581" c-t-c
Average Velocity 1918 fps

Second Group
300 PT Gold with harvester EZ load sabots
78.0 grains of Blackhorn
Federal 209A
1.19" c-t-c
Average Vel 1908 fps

Third Group
250 Barnes TMZ BT (replaced the yellow sabot with the yellow crushed rib from Harvester)
78.0 grains of Blackhorn
Federal 209A
0.858" c-t-c
Average Vel 2012 fps

I decided to take on picture showing all three targets with the gun and scope. To say I'm tickled pink would be and understatement.

Just for grins I averaged these three groups with three different bullets. 0.876" Now what???
Old 04-19-2010, 08:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Excellant shooting with an excellant rifle. I would guess that most Triumph's shoot better than most shooters can. Lee
Old 04-20-2010, 03:34 AM
Fork Horn

WHAT DID YA THINK...we were all telling a lie, those triumph's are hard hard to beat on the range, on the stand, cleaning and overall function..dollar for dollar maybe the best buy going...
Old 04-20-2010, 04:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Frank in the Laurel
WHAT DID YA THINK...we were all telling a lie, those triumph's are hard hard to beat on the range, on the stand, cleaning and overall function..dollar for dollar maybe the best buy going...
Other then the worst customer service in the world....I might agree. The Knight Vision is pretty darn good as well when talking break actions.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:54 AM
Typical Buck

Knock on Wood, but I have never had bad customer service from Thompson Center. They took care of me and even gave me a new butt stock for the ProHunter.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I love my Triumph as well
Old 04-20-2010, 06:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

They sure are good shooters and IMO a better value than that new Impact. Why settle for the slightly cheaper gun when the Triumph is a affordable and proven platform.

Great shooting.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:22 AM
Fork Horn

YEAH..someone else told me those me impacts are plain JUNK..why spend a couple of hundred for no reason, save your cash and if need be buy the plain jane Triumph...they really are a super nice machine.. as far as customer service, I've never known anyone who actually needed it..nothing has gone wrong with the rifle in the first place
Old 04-20-2010, 10:24 AM
mountaineer magic

I have a Triumph for a couple years now and it is the only gun that will shoot as good as my Knights. As matter of fact both of my long range deer ( 223yards and 234 yards ) were taken with my triumph. One of the best guns I own ;in an inline that is.