Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
How do you put your muzzleloader up for lengthy storage (gun oil)? >

How do you put your muzzleloader up for lengthy storage (gun oil)?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

How do you put your muzzleloader up for lengthy storage (gun oil)?

Old 04-11-2010, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like the silicone impregnated gun socks. You can buy a half dozen at a time form Midway on sale from time to time. Bore butter should work very well. Any good rust preventative will work fine. However I really like the gun socks for storage. Tom.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

i clean the gun well, swab the bore with Militec and wipe down the metal parts with Militec. My guns have been left unattended for as long as two years while i worked overseas. Never had one speck of rust on any of them. i have an antique rifle collection: The exposed metal parts on those are waxed.

Most important is keeping humidity in gun safes low. i use a Goldenrod dehumidifier in my guns safes.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxEvlPsGvRA what i use for long term
Old 04-12-2010, 06:01 PM
Spike

I guess I am old school. For the last 21 years I always clean with soap and water, then run a couple swabs with windex to finish the cleaning and coat well with bore butter. Never had a problem with rust in a blued or stainless steel BP gun.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:54 PM
Fork Horn

CLP or Bore Butter. I have used both for up to 8 months and have seen no difference. The key is to make sure it is clean before you 'preserve' it.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:14 PM
Banned

Depends on the powder i am shooting:

Goex-Pyrodex- American Pioneer get flushed with warm soapy water and then some Montana X-treme Bore conditioner or Bore oil.

Blackhorn209 gets scrubbed with Montana X-treme bore solvent and either the oil or conditioner, depends on which rifle i am cleaning.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Semisane
No matter what oil I use in the bore, I always swab with 91% alcohol before shooting (or give it a blast of carburetor cleaner.
I had to use some brake cleaner this weekend in a bore that i may have had RemOil in. It works really well too but you might want to be careful with it and plastics..not sure. It sure cuts through about any oil or packaging grease ive seen.

Nice and cheap too.