Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
How do you put your muzzleloader up for lengthy storage (gun oil)? >

How do you put your muzzleloader up for lengthy storage (gun oil)?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

How do you put your muzzleloader up for lengthy storage (gun oil)?

Old 04-11-2010, 03:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default How do you put your muzzleloader up for lengthy storage (gun oil)?

If your rifle is going to be stored for several months, how do you leave the inside of the barrel? I used to swab a few patches of bore butter and still believe that it was fine. Now I run a few saturated patches of Rem oil thru a dry barrel for extended storage. I always remove any oil or residue before shooting again. Curious what you advanced guys do?
Old 04-11-2010, 04:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm with you on your current procedure saltflyz - extra clean/make sure everything is totally dry/oil. I'll use about any oil - Remoil, Montana, 3-in-1, etc.
Old 04-11-2010, 04:13 PM
Typical Buck

I just clean it super super good. I coat the rifle with Hops gun oil. I spray a mist on lint free rag and wipe it down. But living in Montana I don't have to worry about the humid air. So I never coat the inside of the barrel.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

But living in Montana I don't have to worry about the humid air.
Hey 50calty, you ought to come down this-a-way and learn about humidity.

Old 04-11-2010, 05:56 PM
Typical Buck

I would DIE. I visited family one time in Indiana and hated that every morning I would step out and feel like I'm in a shower. I'll keep my dry air, cold winters, and less population. I do have a dehumidfier in my gun safe, but I don't if does much.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:10 PM
Dominant Buck

That is the way I treat my rifles when I store them.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:20 PM
Fork Horn

I use Break Free gun oil.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well, I believe that Rem oil was made for the action; it has Teflon in it and if you get that into the pours of a muzzle loader and burn it in they load harder. Synthetic oil such as Montana X bore protector or Birchwood Casey will protect a long time thats what it is designed for. If you are talking years instead of months a coating of synthetic grease or cosmoline is best.
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/gwr.aspx
My preference for really long term. Lee
Old 04-11-2010, 07:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yep

Relatively short term, a few months i would probably use Montana Bore Conditioner in the bore and Rem Oil on other areas. Put it in a gun sock then a case with a moisture packet. I dont like the gun touching the foam padding in many cases if it has a fresh film of oil on it.

Very long term, some form of cosmoline or milspec storage grease in the bore and same as the above on the rest. The outside of the gun sock could be treated with a silicon repellent if you really wanted.

Some come pre treated.

I had issues with Rem oil in the bore. It does build a tar like substance sometimes unless you can remove all of it before shooting. I switched to the bore conditioner and it seems to have gone away.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 04-11-2010 at 07:46 PM.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

No matter what oil I use in the bore, I always swab with 91% alcohol before shooting (or give it a blast of carburetor cleaner.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.