Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
new barrel on my Grey Hawk >

new barrel on my Grey Hawk

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

new barrel on my Grey Hawk

Old 04-11-2010, 01:30 PM
Fork Horn

Default new barrel on my Grey Hawk

I have a Thomp. Center Grey hawk in .54 cal. shoots pretty good with any bullet you put in it, so when I came across a .50 barrel real cheap I bought it. Got the barrel and looks great, I cannot evan tell its been fired. So out I go to shoot, I had some ballets and thought I,d give them a try. Well with 80 gr. BP cannot even keep on a 4x3 target at 50yds, hits high, way right, way left all over the place. So I gave up and figured I,d get a little prof. help. Anyone have any experience with one of these rifles, 24 inch barrel and I would guess 1 in 48 twist. Any loads I should try next? thanks guys
Old 04-11-2010, 02:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

My brother-in-law gets real good accuracy with the 385 grain Hornady Great Plains conicals in his .50 GrayHawk. He uses Triple 7 FFG, but I don't remember the load.
Old 04-11-2010, 03:25 PM
Dominant Buck

I had a chance to buy one a year ago, and passed. I kind of wish I had bought it. Everyone you talk to that has one always tells about the accuracy of the rifle.
Old 04-11-2010, 05:29 PM
kb1
Fork Horn

my greyhawk.50 loves the 245g buffalo ball-ets with 80g vol. t7-3f
2" and smaller groups all day long,depending on what kind of black powder your shooting i'd try upping the charge abit.......karl
Old 04-12-2010, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

try a patch roundball and 80 grains pyrodex.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:19 PM
Fork Horn

I was trying 245 ballets and the gun appears to hate them, I'm going to try to stick with real black powder as during our muzzle season in South Dakota it can be anywhere from thirty above to thirty below temps and I have had problems in the past with No11 caps igniting the substitutes like pyrodex or triple 7. think I'll get some round balls and try them next. Thanks guys