Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Loose Powder Or Pelets >

Loose Powder Or Pelets

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Loose Powder Or Pelets

Old 03-08-2010, 12:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default Loose Powder Or Pelets

My question is does pellets have any performance advantage over loose powder? Reason I ask is I noticed that pellets cost more and you get half as much by weight as you do the powder (Pellets = 8 ozs vs powder 16 ozs). I do'nt mind spending the extra cash if the product is worth it.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

No advantage...Go with loose, you are handoading...
Old 03-08-2010, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't see an advantage other than ease of use. 100 grains of loose powder, Pyrodex should be real close to the same performance as 100 grains of Pyrodex pelets. With loose powder you can tailor you load to a specific amount. I use 90 grains of loose powder for my pet load, works just fine. That would be 3 30 grain pelets and even more expensive in the long run.

Later,

Marcial
Old 03-08-2010, 01:09 PM
Fork Horn

Thnks gentlemen. You just saved me some greenbacks.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pellets are by far more expensive than Lose Powder. Pellets were invented for the EASE of there use. People want the easy way so there you go, easy and you pay for it. But Pellets do have there place, if you dont do a-lot of shooting then they may be for you. I now shoot Lose Powder because of wanting a Custom Load that was the most accurate and I found it with 110gr's of Pyrodox, something I could'nt get with Pellets.
But I also have one of My MLer's set up with (2) 50Gr Pellets of Pyrodox=100gr's that shoot's great with this load. I dont shoot it that much but if I need to I can just put a couple of Pellets in it and shoot.
But if your gonna shoot a-lot and want the best possible most accurate load and the cheapest on your wallet then Lose Powder wins hands down.
(BP)