Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
A beautiful day to shoot >

A beautiful day to shoot

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

A beautiful day to shoot

Old 03-07-2010, 05:44 PM
Dominant Buck

The old Groucho Marx joke... I once shot an elephant in my pajamas. How that elephant got in my pajamas I will never know.

Several years ago, during bear season two bear hunters were on my property hunting. They stopped at the house to talk and have coffee. And were telling me they never saw a thing. I then pointed out in the woods and said, there's a bear. So he walked out the front door, and shot it. Field dressed it went 285 pounds. Kind of hard to hunt when you see the game in the yard.

My Dad was staying at the place one winter and I was feeding the birds that year. And I walked in the kitchen to see what he was looking at. Outside in the yard were seven grouse, standing in the yard under the bird feeder. Dad then mentioned he really liked Grouse... But I would not do it. I liked watching them too much.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
The old Groucho Marx joke... I once shot an elephant in my pajamas. How that elephant got in my pajamas I will never know.

Several years ago, during bear season two bear hunters were on my property hunting. They stopped at the house to talk and have coffee. And were telling me they never saw a thing. I then pointed out in the woods and said, there's a bear. So he walked out the front door, and shot it. Field dressed it went 285 pounds. Kind of hard to hunt when you see the game in the yard.

My Dad was staying at the place one winter and I was feeding the birds that year. And I walked in the kitchen to see what he was looking at. Outside in the yard were seven grouse, standing in the yard under the bird feeder. Dad then mentioned he really liked Grouse... But I would not do it. I liked watching them too much.
My Best one yet Dave......it was Thanksgiving years ago, I was one that I did'nt care what day it was, if it was Hunting Season I was Hunting! Well my Wife insisted on me being at my Inlaws across the street from our House for Thanksgiving dinner as to not make her Mother MAD.....I agreed, but it killed me, it was Thanksgiving Day and you know what could happen on Thanksgiving Day during Hunting Season.
Anyway halfway through Thanksgiving Dinner I heard shots ring out and they were close by.......I could'nt stand it and ran to the window for a look, about 150-200yds away came a group of Does and in the lead was a Big Buck and they were headed right for my inlaws house........I ran outside to my Truck, grabbed a Primer, put it in the ML and when the 10 Point Buck was in my Inlaws Driveway I let em have it! When the group of Hunters heard my shot they came over and new it was me and said we should have known that it was gonna come your way and you'd get it!
Well I did and went back inside and finished my dinner. So Thanksgiving Dinner at your Inlaws is'nt always that bad of a idea!
(BP)
Old 03-07-2010, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice shooting with that Bison Dave. I too am blessed to be able to shoot whenever I please here at home. The deer like to come in our yard and brouse on our apple trees and eat out of our garden. It is fun to watch them but my wife won't let me shoot them in our yard, she calls them pets.
Art
Old 03-08-2010, 06:01 AM
Fork Horn

Great shooting Dave.

My hat is off to all you guys that can target shoot and hunt out your back door. I got a new ml the first of the month and am waiting for the range to open up so I can shoot it. Talk about haveing an itchy finger, I have it bad.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by dalberg
I must confess two years ago i shot a doe from my deck in my socks and underwear!
Well that must have been a sight! If that was me I would have scared the schmidt out of that poor deer.

__________________________________________________ ___

Here the weather was beautiful yesterday. It got up to 63 yesterday and will go to 70 today. Got some honey do stuff to get out of the way and make the wife happy.

Now as to Wednesday, I am going to the range and enjoy my MLs and have a bunch of fun. Think I will take the Knight Vision out and also check my NEF.

I got a new and improved breech plug for my Sidekick. It is a reengineered plug that I will not have to use those orange 209 holders. It will cut down on blow back and I can use my BH209 in it. My Sidekick has served me well and if this works I will be one happy camper.

Will hopefully have a good range report by end of week. I will be busy with a lot of club meeting at the range and hunt club first.

Larry
Old 03-10-2010, 05:33 AM
Dominant Buck

63 degrees!! Wow your summer comes soon.

Them sidekicks must be a good shooting gun. Almost everyone I have talked to that owns one never complained about the accuracy, just other little things. Did you purchase this breech plug or make it or have someone make it for you? Sounds interesting. I'd shoot my Knight Disc more but I hate wasting them orange primer jackets. And I am too cheep to get the conversion. Although the conversion changes it over to the red jackets I believe.

Have fun shooting. But make sure you get them Honey Do's done first or there's a bad night in Momma Town.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

This plug was made by a company called Metric Unlimited, (http://www.metricsunlimited.com/

I got the info on this plug at Graygeard Outdoors. The plug works fine even though it came in looking really ruff. I shot it yesterday and have to say it works just great. I am almost totally happy with it with one exception. The 209 primers have a tendency to stick and this would make for an interesting situation in the woods getting a quick reload!

But the nice part is you can shoot BH209 powder with this plug. I am still in the process of testing different loads and primers. I started with Winchester 209 and CCI 209M primers. The Win 209 worked great. The CCi primers were really hard to remove from the plug. I still want to try Federal 209A primers.

So far the best load was my 300 gr. Hornaday XTP sabots and 85 grs. of BH209 powder. The more powder I used the greater the recoil and really no change in results. I was getting about 1.5" to 2.5" groups at 100 yds.