Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
muzle loading rifle >

muzle loading rifle

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

muzle loading rifle

Old 01-30-2010, 05:15 PM
Fork Horn

I helped a friend sight in his Traditions (Pursuit, I believe?) stainless inline last fall, and I was quite impressed with it for the money. A week later I sighted in another friends TC Omega, and other than the diff in the price, I would have a tough time choosing between them. My only advise is if you need choose to order from Cabelas, do not purchase the scoped rifle package. Both guns came with a Cabelas Pineview scope that would not sight in- screwed up horizontal adj. knobs. Both upgraded with Nikon scopes, very happily.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:38 PM
Fork Horn

TC Omega in blue with synthetic stock and a Nikon Pro Staff 3-9x40 scope. I have two of these setups and they are deadly accurate and easy to maintain. If you hit all of the walmarts in your area you can probably pick up an Omega right now for around $200 and the scope will run you around $150. Be aware if you are just starting into ML, the accessories to shoot will add up quick too. You will easily go through a $50 buying bullets, powder/pellets, and cleaning supplies. But the good thing is that it is all cheap and on clearance in walmarts now because season is over and they want to get rid of it all.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thompson center rifles are great and easy to clean (I have an Omega), but would not be my first choice if you ever plan on shooting conicals. T/C rifles are not built to for conicals. If you only plan on hunting in KS and only plan on using sabots, then by all means, T/C can't be beat.

Also as stated, some are not built for open sights (too straight of a stock) but work well with a scope ( my Knight KRB7), but it shoots sabots and conicals well.

Of course, my Knight LRH shoots sabots and conicals, and does well with open sights or a scope.

Welcome to the wonderful world of muzzleloaders, where there are as many choices as all other forms of hunting!
Old 01-30-2010, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have a tc omega and love it.
Make sure you get one with a stainless barrell.....if you cant find one for 400, wait and save up more money....its worth it trust me!
Old 01-31-2010, 05:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd wait for the new T/C model (Impact) to hit dealer's shelves.
I'm a T/C fan, never owned one that didn't shoot well!
CVA would be my second choice.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd say buy whatever you like, there's a-lot of Inexpensive MLer's out there and they all high dollar and low dollar will do the job. My first MLer cost me $89 and I killed many a Deer with it and it was accurate, I still have it after all these years and it still shoots as good as the day I bought it.
With your $400 you should be able to buy everything you need, ML, Scope, and supplies to get you shooting.
Im sure the pannel of experts on here, if they had to do it for your money, could find you everything you need to get started. I would'nt hesitste to take out my $89 MLer and go Hunting with it and have as much confidence in it as my higher priced ones.
(BP)
Old 01-31-2010, 06:23 AM
Fork Horn

Too many times I have scrimped only to suffer buyer's remorse!! I recommend you purchase a "good" rifle that suits your needs and desires, even if it means you don't get a scope right now (Hey there's no shame in using open sights)! Remember there is no scope in the world that will correct the errors of a poor rifle!

I, myself, just got into the muzzleloading craze (and think its awesome) and purchased a CVA Accura (stainless). I love it! Easy to clean, within my price range, great open sights and, above all, it shoots right where I point it. First shot out of the gun (no adjustments ) was two inches left at 50 yards. I thought to myself, "Yeah, this is cool". Within two shots I was hitting the bullseye every time.

Be safe!!!
Old 01-31-2010, 06:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

It depends a lot on your needs and laws. For the best all around gun for easy of use and cleaning as well as accuracy the Triumph is the best with a scope. If you must use iron sights I would suggest an Omega. I you live in a state that does not allow sabots a Traditional in 54 caliber with patched round ball is a good option and when up against some state laws a white designed for throwing large chunks of lead is also an option.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:34 AM
Dominant Buck

While some of us have favorite models or brands, the choice boils down to you. Try and get to a store and handle as many of them as you can. See which one fits you. With your budget you are going to get into some good rifles if you watch the scope cost.

Since your talking scope, you are probably talking inline rifles unless you are Semisane then its a Renegade. I also have traditional rifles with scopes too.

First a scope. Right now, Natchez has a Nikon Pro Staff on sale for $99.00 that is a great scope. But it is in camo so I decided not to purchase another one. If you really want to save money, and are shooting under 150 yards, and just want something for now, Simmons Pro Diamond 4X is $39.99 and is a wonderful hidden value.

Rifles, look at the major brands... T/C, Knight, CVA, Traditions. There should be a .50 caliber in there that suits your needs. Check gun auction sites, check classified adds on these forum... For instance, a person just sold a Knight Disc Extreme with fluted barrel, MHC barrel, mounts and scope for $300.00 . That is insane for a rifle of that quality. So keep your eyes open. Take your time, don't jump at the first rifle unless it really appeals to it. If you find one, ask the forum about the brand and model.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

First, be sure you put the rifle of your choice to your shoulder, before you purchase it. Rifles do feel different when shouldered, and you will want one that 'feels good' to you.

One rifle you might consider is the Accura. There is a new version coming out soonly, and the older model is now on sale at Cabela for $240. It is a nice accurate shooting rifle for the $. I've owned few rifles in my life more accurate; maybe only one.

I also have an Omega, and i like it too. The Triumph i have, has never been fired, but it feels and looks to be a real nice rifle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.