Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

round ball energy

Old 01-16-2010, 04:47 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Screwbolts
Your RB load @ 50 gr will work fine out to past 100 yards . It will cleanly pass threw most rib shots well out past 100 with your 50 grain charge. I used to hunt with a .45 Underhamer and have had many complete pass threws with the little 128 gr. ball I always shot 60 gr. of Black or Pyro. Many deer were shot ove 125 yards away. Just learn were the ball flys and how it flys at longer distances.

The purpose of the ball is to make a hole to let blood out and air in, your 50 ball is better suited than the old 44-40 that killed zillions of deer. Our for fathers diidn't us anything over 50 gr. and they ate well.
I appreciate all the feed back! I original purchased the round balls, because they were cheaper to shoot and i wanted something for squirrels or the odd raccoon raiding my garden, come summer. I was expecting close range (20-30 yards) at best, to even hit anything!

I can see now that the round ball load will be good to fill my doe tag and put some meat in the freezer, but i'm pretty sure I'll be using a sabot load with more punch to take a mature buck!
Old 01-16-2010, 04:51 AM
Fork Horn

Yah we're on the same page!
Originally Posted by spaniel
I was just using the term loosely