Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Starter Kits and Cleaning Kits >

Starter Kits and Cleaning Kits

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Starter Kits and Cleaning Kits

Old 01-14-2010, 08:36 AM
Fork Horn

Default Starter Kits and Cleaning Kits

1) What are the recomened items for a stater kit or would it be
better to purchase a pre-packaged one?

2) What ml cleaning kit is recomened?

Thanks for all your advice.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

My personal opinion is they overcharge for the pre starter kits.
And if there is a cleaning kit you probably are wasting money by buying it.
Tell us what gun you have and what kind of powder you intend to use and one of us will tell you what is needed. Lee
Old 01-14-2010, 08:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

What Lee said - but initially you will need or should have:
1. A good range rod for cleaning with a T handle
2. Appropriate size cleaning jag
3. Appropriate size bronze or nylon bore brush
4. Patches
5. Quality gun oil

With the above items you can consider yourself ready to clean if you use the hot soapy/water and clean water flush method.
Otherwise you will need a good black powder or BP substitute cleaning solvent like T/C's #13 or #17 or a commercial product like windex.

Another item that may come in handy is a patch puller (worm) just in case a patch ever comes off in the bore while you are cleaning.

Last edited by bronko22000; 01-14-2010 at 08:51 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-14-2010, 09:04 AM
Fork Horn

I am just getting into muzzel loading and haven't purchased a ml yet.
I am looking at 50 cal in-line and I want to get the basics.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well if you have not bought one yet it might be wise to look at the new ones for the year. Should be able to get a good over view of the new ones by the end of Feb.
What gun you get will have an effect on powder choice and that will have an effect on swabbing and cleaning. What Bronco said is a good starting point. Read all the posts for a while, Depending on how much you want to spend look close at the Triumph [expensive but maybe the best dedicated muzzleloader made] The Omega
a very good for a starter level, there is one on year end sale at our walmart here for 200 that is a good price; and the Accura it is a good copy of the Triumph for a good price. Lee
Old 01-14-2010, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Everyone pretty much covered this one on the cleaning, now go and get a MLer!
(BP)
Old 01-14-2010, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by lemoyne
Well if you have not bought one yet it might be wise to look at the new ones for the year. Should be able to get a good over view of the new ones by the end of Feb.
What gun you get will have an effect on powder choice and that will have an effect on swabbing and cleaning. What Bronco said is a good starting point. Read all the posts for a while, Depending on how much you want to spend look close at the Triumph [expensive but maybe the best dedicated muzzleloader made] The Omega
a very good for a starter level, there is one on year end sale at our walmart here for 200 that is a good price; and the Accura it is a good copy of the Triumph for a good price. Lee
As lee mentioned Cabela's has some Great deals going on now, I just received a offer from Cabela's for $40 off orders of $300 or more and Cabela's now has the TC Triumph BK/BK on sale now for $349.99-$40=$309.99 , a good MLer at a good price, or also use it on a CVA ACCURA, there also on sale at great prices and with the rebates from Cabela's there even better. Get one now while the prices are LOW!
(BP)
Old 01-15-2010, 11:18 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks to all.

I am trying to go get an ml but so many guns and only enough cash to buy just one.

Has anyone heard anything on the TC Bone Collector. The web site makes it sound like the best thing since sliced bread?