Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
New to ML! Awesome!!! >

New to ML! Awesome!!!

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New to ML! Awesome!!!

Old 01-15-2010, 02:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default New to ML! Awesome!!!

I have hunted all my life. Centerfire rifles, shotguns and bows. However, when I moved to Virginia I found that I was only allowed to hunt with shotguns, bows and muzzleloaders. Well it didn't take long for me to figure out "I need a muzzleloader". After finding this awesome website, and reading countless postings and opinions, I jumped. During one of Cabela's sales, I bought the CVA Acura.

Due to family commitments, the new rifle sat in the box waiting for me. Every morning I would see the box and promise myself I would take it out that evening.....nope. So this went on for two weeks. But today was different, I took the day off and played muzzleloader. These things are just too cool!!! I'm hooked!!!!!

Along with all the nice things about muzzleloading, I also found out about a few of the "bumps in the road". Yes, I'm talking about the 777 crude ring. The name says it all!! I loaded the first round; two pellets and rammed the Powerbelt 245 down until it seated, then pulled the trigger. Big cloud of smoke to go with my big smile!! However, on the second round I wasn't even able to push the next bullet down the barrel, at least not all the way down. So I took the breach plug out, put the two pellets back in the container and PUSHED the bullet on through; whew. I then put the barrel up to the sky and sure 'nuf, I could see the ol' crude ring.

Anyway, I have since learned to swab the bore prior to loading the next round.

So in conclusion, I would like to thank all of you for all the great information, advise, criticism, counter-arguments and the camaraderie that you all provided. Thank you all!!!
Old 01-15-2010, 02:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

DROX

Oh you poor guy... you are only in the infant stages of this disease - it gets so much worse...

Semisaine has a ton of information about it...
Old 01-15-2010, 02:28 PM
Dominant Buck

Your next rifle will really be fun to shoot. And the one after that even better. Have fun and be safe.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:33 PM
Banned

great gun and that load should give at least 2" group @ 100. Ive switched to american pioneer powder and dont even ever have to think about swabbing again lol. i also own the accura. CVA has the V2 Accura coming out in may with QR BP ( quick release breech plug)
Old 01-15-2010, 03:16 PM
Fork Horn

Welcome to the addiction. I don't know what it is that makes shooting these so damn much fun, I suspect the smoke, the challenge, the options, the gadgets...who knows, but it sure is fun. Good luck, shoot straight, be careful.