Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
.45 or .50 for longer distance shots? >

.45 or .50 for longer distance shots?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

.45 or .50 for longer distance shots?

Old 01-09-2010, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by oujeff25
I'm looking at buying a CVA Optima, and can't decide on .45 or .50. Which is more accurate at longer ranges? I've heard .45 from some of the locals, but I thought I'd get some "professional" opinions.

Thanks guys.
I Know I keep saying this..........but Cabela's has the ACCURA Realtree/SS ON SALE NOW for $329.00 with $30 off a Purchase of $150 or more, Total on the ACCURA=$299.00 why go with the Optima?
(BP)
Old 01-09-2010, 06:20 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Breechplug
I Know I keep saying this..........but Cabela's has the ACCURA Realtree/SS ON SALE NOW for $329.00 with $30 off a Purchase of $150 or more, Total on the ACCURA=$299.00 why go with the Optima?
(BP)

I also saw the blued/black Accura for $239. Is it a much better choice than the Optima? Also, I see the $20 off of $100 coupon, but not the $30 off of $150 coupon.

Thanks for the replies guys. This forum is a great source of information. I plan on utilizing it more in the future.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:36 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by chetmarks
I have several 45's. I specifically bought a 45 cal Kodiak pro for long range. It wouldn't shoot worth a crap. I bought a 45 cal Accura for long range. It won't shoot as good at long range as my 50 cal Triumph or 50 cal Knight. I would go with the 50 cal. Both my Triumph and Knights will shoot 250 yards. I've taken deer at 223 and 234 yards with them. Just my opinion. A 45 may be flatter shooting but what good is that if it isn't accurate.
Enough said!

With that being said, I have been tempted to invest in a 45. Just to have 1.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by oujeff25
I also saw the blued/black Accura for $239. Is it a much better choice than the Optima? Also, I see the $20 off of $100 coupon, but not the $30 off of $150 coupon.

Thanks for the replies guys. This forum is a great source of information. I plan on utilizing it more in the future.
Sorry, mabey the $30 Off is just for Cabela's Club Members. Yes I think the ACCURA is a better choice just for the Bergara Barrel alone, and if you can afford the extra $60 get the Camo/SS version, or at least the SS/BK for $289 with the $20 off it's $269.
I bought 3 of them and paid more for each one and Im not dissapointed at all for what I paid. It's by far the best ML that I have ever owned for the money. 1"groups at 100 and 2" at 200, plus the SS barrel cleans up with just patches, no brushing. I own other Mlers but for what you get the ACCURA beats em all.
(BP)
Old 01-10-2010, 06:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

The first ml I bought was a TC 54cal Renegade, still have it and love it. In the last several years the ml companies have steered all the new technology towards the 50 cal it seems. That is what I will stick with from now on. My Renegade and my TC Hawken are the only ones I have that are not 50cal, both are 54"s.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Breechplug
Spaniel what ML did you use for that 338yd shot? that's one heck of a shot! I got my ACCURA down to 2"groups at 200 and that's a Poke! Im a great shot and was taught to shoot inbetween heartbeats but even with my shooting skills I seem to limit myself to 200yd ranges with a ML, I know I can shoot further and hit where Im aiming, but what Ft Lbs do you get at those ranges, Im more worried about enough energy than range I guess.
(BP)
A thumbhole Omega that I've done some accurizing work on. 100 yd groups are well under an inch. I posted a 500 yd group shot with this rifle back in June or July, but this was with the 325gr FTX as the 200SW is just too light to shoot that far.

The energy is pretty low past 300 yds. I worry a lot more about bullet performance than energy numbers, if the bullet expands I'm not worried. Arrows kill deer fine with tiny energy numbers. However, when the 325gr FTX came out and offered me the ability to duplicate the relatively "flat" trajectory but with better energy and wind drift I jumped on it.

I had shot several deer at increasingly far ranges with the same bullet to evaluate how performance was doing as I pushed it further...I didn't go from say 150 yds to 338. That was the third deer I'd shot at 300+. I lucked out and had this deer in position with a dead calm wind which is the biggest variable.

I'm not recommending people go out and try to duplicate this, there are a lot of specific skills involved in shooting that far and one must be honest with themselves as to their capabilities.

I'm building a .45 right now, but it will be smokeless and push the 200SW to 2700-2900 fps or shoot a .45ca/ 275gr Parker Extreme to 2500-2600 fps (sabotless).

Last edited by spaniel; 01-10-2010 at 07:20 AM.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have CVA's in 45 and 50
Both out shoot me and both kill deer graveyard dead
More choices with the 50 cal for sure
Old 01-10-2010, 11:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Breach Plug
I do my own pressure testing and set my own limits, I only state what I am doing I do not suggest that others do the same. I will say that since a few guns with poor barrels blew up in some peoples faces some years a go that the powder companies have set there recommended limits so that even poor barrels can hold the pressure.
I will also say that I find Blackhorn to have a longer lower pressure peak that gives higher velocities when you push the pressure to the same levels.
To give you a better handle on what I am saying 100 gr of 777 gives the same peak pressure as 115 gr of BH.
I do not suggest anyone do as I do. I do as I please and except the responsibility only for my own actions. Lee