Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
.45 or .50 for longer distance shots? >

.45 or .50 for longer distance shots?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

.45 or .50 for longer distance shots?

Old 01-09-2010, 12:10 PM
Spike

Default .45 or .50 for longer distance shots?

I'm looking at buying a CVA Optima, and can't decide on .45 or .50. Which is more accurate at longer ranges? I've heard .45 from some of the locals, but I thought I'd get some "professional" opinions.

Thanks guys.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:18 PM
Banned

.50cal more bullet options out there
Old 01-09-2010, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Accuacy wise, it depends on the specific gun and the shooter. If one has an advantage it is not significant at hunting ranges. So it boils down to what you will be hunting. If elk will never be in you plans, the 45 would be just as good, but if you ever plan on hunting elk, you need to get the 50.

That said, 50 caliber IS the most popular and therefore it is easiest to get bullets for, something to think about in this current bullet buying frenzy.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:18 PM
mountaineer magic

I have several 45's. I specifically bought a 45 cal Kodiak pro for long range. It wouldn't shoot worth a crap. I bought a 45 cal Accura for long range. It won't shoot as good at long range as my 50 cal Triumph or 50 cal Knight. I would go with the 50 cal. Both my Triumph and Knights will shoot 250 yards. I've taken deer at 223 and 234 yards with them. Just my opinion. A 45 may be flatter shooting but what good is that if it isn't accurate.

Old 01-09-2010, 02:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

oujeff25

I was going to make a comment on my thoughts... but jees! think Chetmark covered it really well.

One thing think about which bullet might be more effected by the wind currents it crosses on the way to long range target.... Also, what remaining energy might you have at long ranges with a 45 bullet or a 50 bullet.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

It depends what your goals are, but accuracy is not an inherent characteristic of a caliber. The .45s got a bad reputation a number of years ago when they put them out with a 1:20 twist and they shot badly. However we did not have many of the longer-for-caliber bullets we have today like the 200 Shockwave.

I have taken deer out to 338 yds with a .50cal and the 200 Shockwave, while I got a pass-thru I don't think I'd go past 350 due to the low energy. So for most people the .45 will allow you to use high BC .40cal bullets just fine and shoot long range. My load is very pleasant to shoot.

This past year I switched to the .458 325gr FTX, which of course can only be shot out of a .50. It duplicates the trajectory of the lighter bullet (accurate with more powder in my gun), delivering twice the energy with half the wind drift. However it also kicks like a magnum rifle.

The .45 may give you a small bit of extra oomph with the lighter bullets but you pay for it if there is any wind. The .50 is just as good for everything except wringing the last 30-50 yards out of a .40cal bullet. I'd go .50.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

A 45 will shoot flatter that a 50 but If it were me I's stay with the 50cal, more bullet choices and other options. As stated above accuracy wise no ML will make you shoot any better than you already do, they all shoot better than the shooter. A 50Cal ML in the right hands is plenty enough ML to get you where you need to go.
(BP)
Old 01-09-2010, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by spaniel
It depends what your goals are, but accuracy is not an inherent characteristic of a caliber. The .45s got a bad reputation a number of years ago when they put them out with a 1:20 twist and they shot badly. However we did not have many of the longer-for-caliber bullets we have today like the 200 Shockwave.

I have taken deer out to 338 yds with a .50cal and the 200 Shockwave, while I got a pass-thru I don't think I'd go past 350 due to the low energy. So for most people the .45 will allow you to use high BC .40cal bullets just fine and shoot long range. My load is very pleasant to shoot.

This past year I switched to the .458 325gr FTX, which of course can only be shot out of a .50. It duplicates the trajectory of the lighter bullet (accurate with more powder in my gun), delivering twice the energy with half the wind drift. However it also kicks like a magnum rifle.

The .45 may give you a small bit of extra oomph with the lighter bullets but you pay for it if there is any wind. The .50 is just as good for everything except wringing the last 30-50 yards out of a .40cal bullet. I'd go .50.
Spaniel what ML did you use for that 338yd shot? that's one heck of a shot! I got my ACCURA down to 2"groups at 200 and that's a Poke! Im a great shot and was taught to shoot inbetween heartbeats but even with my shooting skills I seem to limit myself to 200yd ranges with a ML, I know I can shoot further and hit where Im aiming, but what Ft Lbs do you get at those ranges, Im more worried about enough energy than range I guess.
(BP)
Old 01-09-2010, 05:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Breechplug
These are my long range loads for my Endeavor 50 caliber.
140 gr Blackhorn 200gr 40 caliber SW or Lehigh [ with a turn pointed plastic tip inserted] 50/40 blue MMP sabot .
muzzle 2350 FPS 3" high 100yds 1817 FPE
Minus 7 inches @250 yd
Minus 17 inches at 300 yd, 949 FPE
I can keep my groups down to 4 inches at 250 under good conditions but a gusty wind will tear me up.
Oujeff I like a 45 but don't see much advantage, Mainly because with all the different sabots and bullets it is possible to find a good load for a touchy 50 but that stuff is not available for a 45. Hope this helps
Old 01-09-2010, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by lemoyne
Breechplug
These are my long range loads for my Endeavor 50 caliber.
140 gr Blackhorn 200gr 40 caliber SW or Lehigh [ with a turn pointed plastic tip inserted] 50/40 blue MMP sabot .
muzzle 2350 FPS 3" high 100yds 1817 FPE
Minus 7 inches @250 yd
Minus 17 inches at 300 yd, 949 FPE
I can keep my groups down to 4 inches at 250 under good conditions but a gusty wind will tear me up.
Oujeff I like a 45 but don't see much advantage, Mainly because with all the different sabots and bullets it is possible to find a good load for a touchy 50 but that stuff is not available for a 45. Hope this helps
Thank's Lee, since everyone is trying the BH and since Cablea's has got some on sale I just ordered some to try. I just recently got a Triumph and was thinking of trying the 200gr XTP's with the BH. 140gr's of BH seems a little high? what does the BH compare to in that gr with other powders? This will be my long range Coyote ML for this Winter and I need ot to be as accurate as it can be.
(BP)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.