Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
What ya all think about >

What ya all think about

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What ya all think about

Old 01-08-2010, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default What ya all think about

CVA elkhorn pro 50 any an all advice welcomed for this greenhorn muzzy wantabe
Old 01-08-2010, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

For the money as the Elkhorn is more than what Cabela's is now offering the ACCURA for and what you get, I'd definately get a ACCURA. Just the Stainless Steel Bergara Barrel is enough reason to get the ACCURA as the Elk Horn just comes Blued.
Cabela's price for the Realtree/SS ACCURA is now on Sale for $329.00, plus an additional $30 off for orders over $150, that brings the price of the ACCURA down to $299, ya cant beat that one! Compare the ElkHorn Pro to the ACCURA and what you get between the two and you'll see.
(BP)
Old 01-08-2010, 07:07 AM
Dominant Buck

I think he already has the Elk Horn. Or am I wrong? If you have not purchased the Elk Horn there are some rifles I might pick over it, but of course you have to make sure they meet the requirements of your state, and maybe the Elk Horn is such a rifle.

I am sure that the Elk Horn would be a good shooter. Once you find the correct load it will do all you want.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cayugad yes I have already purchased it. Came with the 3 ignitions hi viz sites, sling, and shoulder pad for 229. Which I thought was reasonable. I haven't seen many reveiws and wanted some feed back on what ya all thought.

Breeechplug sorry I didn't explain myself better.

Thanks ya'll
Old 01-08-2010, 07:32 AM
Fork Horn

I owned a CVA Elk Horn a couple years ago but I never shot it. I liked the stock, had a great recoil pad, came with #11, musket cap and 209 ignition systems, had a superb trigger on it and a tight bore. Some of the things I didn't like were the sling studs were molded into the stock, the Quake sling (thought it was extremely ugly and large) which I took off, the bluing looked poorly done and I just got a feeling it would rust very easily and finaly the rifle came with a QLA. I'm not a fan of QLA's though I think CVA does a better job than TC installing them.

Last edited by Nimrodder; 01-08-2010 at 07:35 AM.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Blacklab,
One of the fellows in our club has one. He had a little problem with a cross threaded nipple that I fixed for him. He shoots his with the #11 cap and 100gr of RS with the 50/40 MMP sabot and a 40 caliber 200gr XTP. He has take deer bear and boar with it and is happy enough with the job it does that he won't even talk about other loads . He gets about 1.25 to 1.5 inch groups with it, which is the same size group he gets with his Savage .243. He has a Bushnell scope on it 2 X 7 X 40. He cleans it with boiling water and Blue Barrel soap and since it has been re-blued and the trigger touched up a bit he is quite happy with it. Lee
Old 01-08-2010, 09:56 AM
Banned

great little rifle, almost a spitting image of my winchester x150 i had. the elkhorn comes with an autodecapper would is a great feature for the 209 user. some of the elkhorns also have been refitted with the bergara barrel
Old 01-09-2010, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys
Old 01-09-2010, 09:48 AM
Spike

hello blacklab,
I got an elkhorn last year with the camo stock that had a Bergara barrel on it. There is a Bergara stamp on the barrel if it has one. Most of the '07 & newer elkhorns have them now, from what the cust. svc. told me. I got mine for 199.00 from sportsmans warehouse because it was returned for misfiring. It would sometimes take two hammer strikes to pop the cap, but everytime the cap goes off the gun charge would go off everytime. After checking into it, I found that the hammer spring was too light to set off the cap on the first strike. I had three options: 1) send gun back to cva, 2) Get a stronger spring, or 3) put a spacer between the hammer and the spring. I decided to try a 3/8"X1/4" nylon spacer between hammer and spring to see if this would solve the problem. It hasn't missfired since, and I've put at least 50 shots through it. I think I'll get a stronger spring for it.
At the time that I bought the rifle, it was one of the only new bolt action rifles that were legal in WA and ID state where I hunt, since I live in eastern WA. I've owned several MLers over the past 30 years and find that this elkhorn is the most accurate I've owned. With 90 gr. 2FF BP and a 240 gr XTP in a crush rib sabot I can outshoot most modern scoped rifle shooters at the range. I installed peep sights and the long sight radius is great. This last fall, I shot a mature grainfed whitetail doe at about 75 yds. The deer dropped in it's tracks with a complete pass through both lungs, a little high, and broke ribs on both sides. If I had a good rest, I would feel comfortable taking shots to 125 yds with this set-up. Hope this helps, and have fun tuning in your gun! Let us know how you like it and how it shoots!