Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Multiple muzzleloaders, Multiple scopes? >

Multiple muzzleloaders, Multiple scopes?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Multiple muzzleloaders, Multiple scopes?

Old 01-02-2010, 04:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have 4 muzzle loaders all have a different scope on them.
C.V.A. Hunter bolt N.C. Star
Knight Revolution Nikon Pro staff 2x7
Remington Genesis Traditions
Knight Vision Cabela's Powder Horn Just got for Christmas have not tried yet.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by falcon
............................... Burris 4X20 Short Mag............................................... .....
Have you found a flip up scope cap for the objective of this scope?
I have one, and would like to use it hunting, but can't figure out how to keep snow off the objective, and still be able to get a shot off quickly.

Skopia

I have a 4x Leupold, a 4x Burris, and a 1x Nikon, which i can use during our regular rifle season. For hunting during the muzzle loader season i must use iron sights, so i use a receiver (peep) sight.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

When I first started out MLing hunting, I thought I should use a fairly good rifle scope. I started out with a Burris Fullfield II on my Encore, but that was a mistake. The Encore destroyed the scope and I had to send it back to the factory. They repaired tha scope, but in the interim I had put a Bushnell 3200 Elite on the Encore. I left it on until it also broke. I sent it in for repair and when they sent it back, they said not to put it on a ML gun. It was not made for that.

I talked to a friend and he also had this problem and he told me he went out and bought a scope that was made specifically for MLing guns. I did some more research and found out that there are different groups of scopes, one for airguns, one for MLers, one for shotguns and one for rifles. These different groups are made to sithstand different harmonics or resonics. I found out the hard way, but was lucky to have them repaired at no cost to me.

I know some will say that this is BS, but if it was then why do they sell ML scopes? And why did I break two rifle scopes on my MLer?

I now have a Leupold Ultimate Slam on my Knight Vision. This is my long range gun. I have a NEF Sidekick with a Tasco Bantom MLer/shotgun 2.5x scope that I got in Wally world for $35. This Tasco is one of the best scopes I have ever used on a gun and is best suited for hunting the thick stuff here in Virginia.

Old 01-02-2010, 06:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Rafsob
I know its not BS I have had similar experience. That's why I have a drawer full of scopes, I have had to send Leopold ,Swift some Bushnell [Some of them held up] Redfield and some Weaver back into the factory. I have come to believe that since most last one to two years that it takes time for the resonance to tear them up and some people don't shoot as much in a life time as we do in a year, thats why they do not have the problem as quick also the load shot makes a difference; I started my kids out with loads that are as heavy as some people use that has to make a difference to. I have come to kind of grouping people after a while you get an idea of just how much and what kinds of muzzleloader shooting they do, and then there are some people that try to apply some cartridge shooting things to muzzleloading that don't fit [ I do both and reload ], you just have to kind of overlook some of the inexperience and remember some people don't care to go in to it to the depth that we do. Lee
Old 01-02-2010, 10:32 AM
mountaineer magic

I have more Nikon Omegas than anything .But a couple others That i have i really like also.
T/C Triumph Nikon Omega
Knight LRH Nikon Omega
Knight Disc Extreme Nikon Omega
CVA Accura Nikon Omega
Knight Disc Elite Leoupold ultimate Slam
T/C Prohunter Simmons master series Aetec 4-14x44 WA SF

Old 01-02-2010, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think one reason they make "ML scopes" is that the use and characteristics desired by the market are somewhat different than for centerfire scopes. Shotgun scopes as well but there is a recoil issue with shotguns too.

I don't completely discount that some scopes will not hold up as well on a ML but I've been using rifle scopes since I started mounting scopes and have only had one scope crap out...and it was the only ML scope I've ever owned!

Each gun has its own harmonics, I guess I'd need to hear some rational evidence how a ML and a centerfire throwing a similar charge at a similar velocity would impact a scope in a different way, and specific design differences that must be put into a scope to account for this.

I will say that the loads most people shoot in a ML generate more recoil than a .223 or .308, the recoil level where most rifle scopes play. Perhaps that has something to do with it. That's how shotgun scopes are different, they are made to tolerate way higher recoil generated by slugs.

Airguns are a different story. Due to their piston action there is a two-direction recoil very different from powder-operated guns.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

spaniel

I would share your experiance, If your puchase a scope designed for a centerfire hunting rifle it should not have a problem with any ML. I have been shooting ML's only a short time as compared to others, started in 2010, and all I have ever used is centerfire scopes and have never had a problem. Even with the less expensive scopes. I still have and use on a ML a Tasco World Class 3x9x40 ($39.00) that I bought ages ago and it still shoots just fine to this day. But because of all the bad press the Tasco was getting I have bought additional scope to replace it with when it quits - but no luck yet so I just buy anothe inline to put the replacement scope and then another replacement scope... works for me - well it was for awhile...

The real difference is that shotgun and ML scopes usually have a parrellax (sp) set @ 75 yards, while regular hunting scopes are set @ 100 yards.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:26 PM
Spike

I have a 2-7x32 Browning (elite 3200?) on one of my Omegas. This scope has served me very well. If it had the rainguard it would be an outstanding scope for the money I paid for it, ($119.00) a couple of years ago from Natchez.

I mounted a 4x40 Nikon Buckmaster on another Omega that I have not been able to even shoot yet because of time. Paid $99.00 for that one. May have been Natchez too.

Guess my question should have been, "when you get one that you really like, do you stick with it, or does the search keep going on?"

Almost like muzzleloaders. LOL
Old 01-02-2010, 12:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Skopia

To answer your last question... i guess I am pretty well set on the scope that i will use on the rifle that I will hunt with - when it comes to hunting season, but that does not stop me from checking other scopes out and one of those might change my mind... Today at this time I am pretty well set on two scopes that work for me very and are dependable, the Bushnell Elite 3200 and the Leupold Ultimate Slam.

I have just completed mounting a Nikon Omega on one of Tom's rifles, I hope to shoot it a bunch this summer then maybe I can add the Omega to that list - I am just not sure I like that long eye relief....
Old 01-02-2010, 01:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Have you found a flip up scope cap for the objective of this scope?
I have one, and would like to use it hunting, but can't figure out how to keep snow off the objective, and still be able to get a shot off quickly.
The diameter of that objective is 28mm. Weaver and Quake make some that would probably fit. Looks like that long rubber sleeve on the Weaver one might interfere with the front scope ring.

http://www.gunaccessories.com/Weaver/PolarScopeCaps.asp

http://www.gunaccessories.com/Quake/default.asp

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.