Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
standard #11, or musket caps or 209 primers? >

standard #11, or musket caps or 209 primers?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

standard #11, or musket caps or 209 primers?

Old 12-27-2009, 04:58 PM
Spike

Default standard #11, or musket caps or 209 primers?

I have a CVA magbolt 150 50. cal. muzzleloader bought new in 2001.
For the last several years it has been misfiring.
The bolt action pin hits the #11 cap but sometimes it fires and other times it does not until the pin hits the cap 2-3 times before the cap fires.
I can tell the firing pin is hitting the cap, you can hear it and see the indention the pin is leaving on the cap. But regardless, the pin has to hit the cap sometimes several times before the cap fires.
The gun is in mint condition. I clean and inspect it regularly.
I do not believe it is the guns fault, or powder. I boil the stainless nipple after 4-5 shots and use a bread tie to poke threw the cap after every shot.
Sometimes when I buy new caps it works great, and sometimes the same misfire happens. Cap manufacturers are not going to through away there last years stock, so there is no guarantee you are buying new caps every year. Plus it is a shame to buy 50 new cap every year and only shoot less than 10 and through the others away.
I keep the caps in there original tin and keep them in a ziplock in dark gun cabinet. They are not drawing moisture.
I missed a huge buck this year because it did not fire until I hit the cap 3 times.
I'm thinking of switching to a musket cap or 209 primer.

Anybody have any suggestions?
Old 12-27-2009, 05:00 PM
Banned

you need a new nipple for the #11 set up. Sounds like its boogered up
Old 12-27-2009, 05:13 PM
Spike

I've boiled the nipple several times every season. and clean/poke it with a bread tie wire after every shot.
You can see through the nipple. I think the stainless nipple is ok, as far as I can tell. There are no scratches on it. What should I look for?
How could a nipple cause a cap not to fire?
Old 12-27-2009, 05:17 PM
Banned

the nipple sounds like its stretched and when you cap and fire, the bolt seats the cap and then the second or 3rd strike sets off the cap/charge.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Listen to mountaindevil, it's the nipple...The cap isn't firmly seating on the nipple, replace it...
Old 12-27-2009, 05:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

It could be because the cap is not seated all the way onto the nipple.

The CVA Hunter Bolt, Mag Bolt and Mag Hunter also have marginal firing pin springs. If the gun is left c0cked for a prolonged period of time the spring takes a set. Take the spring out, stretch it about 1/2", put it back and try to fire the cap.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:39 PM
Spike

Agree with the above and stainless nipples are cheap to try. I replace mine every few years. I did go to a musket cap nipple and it does definatly have a better fire. If you like the #11 caps then try a new nipple first. I really prefer the musket caps but they are not the easiest to find. I bought several tins when Wally world had them marked down to $1 a tin. I have kept caps and #11's for years and they still work fine. Don't think that is your problem.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

BTW: Best thing you can do with that gun is to buy a 209 breechplug. The breechplug you want is the one in the upper right of the picture.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...819&id=0012624
Old 12-27-2009, 06:46 PM
Spike

Thanks for all the replies.
I never thought it could be the nipple.
I do try and seat the cap firmly every time. After one or two misfires the cap does not have seemed to move any.
I will try to stretch the spring.
The #11 nipple I'm using is a replacement nipple. I bought it 3 years ago. I thought I took good care of it.
I do have a 209 primer breech plug and a musket cap nipple. They came with the gun when I bought it new. I just do not have the musket caps or the 209 primers.
I guess there are 3 options for me=
01. replace the #11 nipple
02. switch to the musket cap nipple and buy some new caps.
03. switch to the 209 breech plug and buy some 209 primers.

I'm leaning towards option 2. Either should fix my problem.

Anymore suggestions? What do most inline hunters shoot #11, musket caps, or 209 primers? Which misfires the least?
Old 12-27-2009, 06:49 PM
Banned

call cva and get a new bolt spring. Its always good to have that part on hand.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.