Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Im sick - I actually like APP >

Im sick - I actually like APP

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Im sick - I actually like APP

Old 12-27-2009, 10:24 AM
Banned

Default Im sick - I actually like APP

Just as the topic says and you all know, Im sick! This stuff is darn clean and super easy to clean up.

My first outing i was pretty worried and kind of pissed off LOL.

My second outing i pushed the 245gr HP Powerbelt onto the powder very firmly and allowed the barrel to cool down a few minutes between shots. I also used the new Remington STS primers. I honestly think i pulled shot #2!! It had to have been a flinch or a trigger jerk.

The holes marked with a marker were my first outing and you can see how much it sucked. Those shots, i seated the projectile lightly on top of the powder and did not allow a cool down. These were also with the CCI Inline MZL primers.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Gander the stuff will shoot and group good if you get all the moisture out of it and keep it out. Its the weakest powder made and it takes a lot more to get it to shoot well to. I used it for two years and the only way I could keep it grouping tight was to spread it out on a board next to the dehumidifier in the gun safe. It will work well but you have to decide if it is worth the trouble if you live where the humidity is always high like me. Lee
Old 12-27-2009, 05:02 PM
Typical Buck

+1 to what Lemoyne said.

APP, CleanShot, Shockey's Gold (it's all the same stuff) does shoot very cleanly - almost amazingly so. But it IS the weakest thing out their as far as 2fg powders go - taking 15gr more powder to equal a Pyro RS load and 25gr more to equal a 777 load for any given bullet. It is also extremely hygroscopic - it sucks moisture out of the air like a camel filling it's hump full of water. I've had it go bad on me literally overnight, even when kept under humidity-controlled conditions.

I reckon if you had a vacuum-sealing unit, you could vacuum-seal a fresh bottle in 1/4 pound baggies to keep it in useable condition for any time.

Just seems like a lot of hassle when a bottle of 777 can be good for years just as it is.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:05 PM
Banned

but with the 777 you have to swab between shots.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, you are sick. That's about the worst.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shoot a few groups through that Accura with Blackhorn and you'll really be sick
Old 12-27-2009, 05:47 PM
Banned

i would have bought a can of BH but no one has it.

APP seems pretty good so far, im enjoying it. Its dry up here at 7400 feet so i shouldnt have any issues.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:08 PM
Dominant Buck

I have shot APP and it worked good. But I discovered it is rifle fussy. Some of my rifles liked it and some did not. Actually I shot it in traditional rifles and had good luck with roundball.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

It is also extremely hygroscopic - it sucks moisture out of the air like a camel filling it's hump full of water.
Have used APP, then JSG,and now Goex Pinnacle for many years and never has a problem with moisture. All one has to do is put a small dessicant pack in the can and keep the lid on tight.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:12 PM
Banned

breech plug came out super easy, i actually broke it loose with using only my fingers on the tool. No blowby into the threads, only a skim of primer fouling on the frame. Super clean powder that again after 9 shots today, cleaned up with 1 patch and one more to mop up whatever little was left behind.

Heres the face of the plug.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.