Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Powder Question: URGENT Pa late season coming soon >

Powder Question: URGENT Pa late season coming soon

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Powder Question: URGENT Pa late season coming soon

Old 12-23-2009, 04:00 PM
Fork Horn

Default Powder Question: URGENT Pa late season coming soon

Hey Guys,

I have a question. I use a 50 cal Ml with 2f in the load and 4f in the pan. In the pan I use 4f goex black powder and in the barrel I use 777 Hogdon. Will the different types of black powder affect the shot?

My dad shoots a 54 cal lyman and likes to shoot balls. He always used 4f in both the barrel and pan. I explained to him that 4f in both is too much pressure in the gun, and I got him to switch. He also wants to use the 2f 777 in the gun and the goex 4f in the pan. Will this combination affect his accuracy?

I guess the general question, is there a major difference in using the two different types of powder? Should I use straight goex or 777, or doesn't it matter?

I appreciate any feedback/answers

Kelly
Old 12-23-2009, 04:10 PM
Typical Buck

triple 777 and flinters I don't think so
I would say if you want to go with triple down the bore i would duplex the load using 10 grains if 4F first then the rest with triple 777 powder.
I my self only shoot 3F in my flinters and 4f in the pan 2 grains for a pan charge.
4F as a man charge wow ;I did that mistake last summer and drop 95 grains of 4F and alll I can say man what recoil.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:10 PM
Banned

stick with real blackpowder. T7 in a flintlock is almost impossible to set off.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

PAHUNTER105

I am really unsure of what to tell you - normally I would agree not to use T7 in a flintlock, but your ML is designed so you can use Pyro Pellets, which I also think is odd.

I am wondering where you got the information that you might be able to shoot T7 in the gun.

I am not very versed on shooting a flintlock so I ca nnot offer any real meaningful advise...

Maybe Caygad or even other Penn State hunters will see this question and chime.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:25 PM
Dominant Buck

If your going to use T-7 as the main charge, you will have to duplex the load. Dump 10-20 grains of black powder down first. Also remember to clean that touch hole real well. You might still encounter some ignition problems in damp wet weather. Personally I would use 2f black powder as the main charge and 4f as the pan primer.

I also agree that 4f as the main charge depending on the amount he is using might be a little much. Also the concern of it coming out the touch hole if the rifle is tipped. Instead I would use 2f. But hey, if it works for him, who am I to say.

When I shoot my Lyman, Thompson Centers, or Tradition flintlocks, I use 2f in all but the Traditions. That likes 3f as the main charge and its always black powder. 3f will also work in the pan in you have no 4f.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

You should use straight Goex, the ignition temp is 800 degrees, the subs have a higher ignition temp...

I usually just stick with FFF in the pan and barrel of my .40 and .54 flinters...
Old 12-24-2009, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wink

I would suggest you use all black powder (Goex). If it is necessary to have just one powder grade, use 3f in both the barrel and pan.

Substitutes were never really meant to be used in sidelocks, flintlock or caplock.
Old 12-24-2009, 07:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

rafsob

Substitutes were never really meant to be used in sidelocks, flintlock or caplock.
Hold the phone... I use T7 in all of my sidelocks - caplocks... it is available and works great....

TC and GM both altered their breech plugs to aid in the ability to shoot T7.

but, I know what I think you mean...
Old 12-24-2009, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by sabotloader
rafsob

Hold the phone... I use T7 in all of my sidelocks - caplocks... it is available and works great....

TC and GM both altered their breech plugs to aid in the ability to shoot T7.

but, I know what I think you mean...
In my experience I always had a delay fire. I even converted my #11 caps to musket caps and still had the same problem. Though on an intermitten manner.

Did you have to do something special or convert anything to get the powder to ignite?

I must admit that I never shot anything but the real deal in my flintlock.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:30 AM
Typical Buck

I shoot American Pioneer Goex Pinicale and T7 in, mu CVA and Lyman cap locks with magnum cap I have had no problems.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.