Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Powder Question: URGENT Pa late season coming soon >

Powder Question: URGENT Pa late season coming soon

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Powder Question: URGENT Pa late season coming soon

Old 12-24-2009, 08:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

rafsob

When I made that statement i was not considering the original caplocks - i was talking about the modern day replicas...

So with that i would tell you that I shoot T7-3f in all of my Renegades, Hawkens, and Lyman Trade rifle. The powder is so fine it is very easy to tap it and move it out under the nipple. I use to shoot T7-2f and still do during warm weather but when it gets bitter cold - then the 3f works so much better.

I never did have a lot of luck with musket caps in the bitter cold, but the #11 magnum caps work very well (make sure they are magnum caps - not standard #11's). They are just as hot as any musket cap but the spark does not last as long.

The best cap that i have found is the Dynimit Nobel 1075+. It works really well for me.

I must admit that I never shot anything but the real deal in my flintlock.
I have never even tried T7 in a flintlock, but like Dave said think you would have to duplex it.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:53 AM
Fork Horn

a cap lock and a flint lock are two entirely different animals... if you want quick reliable ignition with the shortest ignition time possible then use straight BP in both the pan and charge.