Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Powder VS Pellets and Shot Distances >

Powder VS Pellets and Shot Distances

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Powder VS Pellets and Shot Distances

Old 12-21-2009, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Powder VS Pellets and Shot Distances

I need to pick some brains on this one.....I dont consider myself a Long-Range Shooter at game but every now and then I do take a shot out to 150+Yds. Usually my shots are from 20-80yds with the occasional 100-150yd shot. I do practice the long shots and have been consistant getting 2"groups at 200yds, so a 150yd shot would be a easy one for me.
I know a-lot of variables go into considering taking the long shot as too many things can go wrong, but this is'nt about that, I would ony take the shot if I was 100% sure I'd connect.
My question is for you's using say 90-110gr's of powder say Pyrodox or the equivilant, or 2-50gr Pellets of Pyro. This is NOT A MAGNUM CHARGE QUESTION. Also a Bullet weight of say 240-250+gr's.
What distances have you taken game out to and still have had excellent results? I use 105-110gr's of Loose Pyro and a 240gr XTP mag ou of My ACCURA, and have also used 2-50gr Pellets with the same bullet and had the same results in velocity and scope settings. I have taken Deer out to 150-175yds and shot clean through them, have you shot longer? Do you guys out West Hunting Elk and Mulies shoot as far or further? Do you use less or more powder, a lighter bullet?
What do you consider enough powder to get the job done with out going to a Magnum Charge, and what is not enough? as I prefer accuracy over Power.
Im happy with my set-up but am curious what you use.
(BP)
Old 12-21-2009, 07:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Breechplug

Here is an example of a load I would shoot... i would shoot this to 175 without much problem at all...

Old 12-22-2009, 07:19 AM
mountaineer magic

last year I took 2 deer at long distance. One was 234 yards. and 1 at 223 yards. At that time I was only shooting a 100 gr triple 7 and a 250 gr shockwave. The first deer went 20 yards and piled up. The bullet was lodged in the hide on the opposite side, so no exit wound. With the same load i took a deer at 223 yards. This deer also went less than 20 yards. the bullet was a complete pass through and killed a button buck standing behind her. ( 2 deer with 1 shot). This year I upped my charge to 130 gr triple 7 simply because I was using a new Knight and it prefers the higher charge. My longest shot this year so far is 130 yards. The exit wound was was about the size of 3 fingers and the deer dropped on the spot. There was a fist size chunk of lung laying beside it and 1/3 of the heart missing. I think 100 grains is sufficient for out to 250 yards if the shot placement is good. With a 130 grains I feel confident that a well placed shot will easily take out any deer that is in the 250 yard range with energy to spare.. I am using barnes TMZ and T-EZ or shockwave bullets this year depending on the gun. I hunt mostly mulies in the open plains . When I do hunt whitetail then my shots are usually less than a 100 yards. During muzzleloader season all my shots are usually a 100 yards or less because we are not allowed scopes. I only hunt with a scoped muzzleloader during rifle season. If you are consistent at 200 yards then I wouldn't be afraid to take a shot at that distance with a 100 gr of powder. I use the Omega scope and with a 100 gr I use the 250 reticle at 200 yards and hold about 2" high. That's where the Triumph shoots anyway. With the Knight and a 130 gr. I can shoot 200 yards with the 225 reticle dead on. That's my 2 cents based on the last 2 seasons.

Old 12-22-2009, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wink

First off I don't like the pellets. they are too fragile and unrealiable. Now this is just my opinion so take it for that.

I don't like taking any long shots with my ML. But I will go out to 150 yds. max. My problem with these shots is that the drop is so great, it gets to be a pain in the ass trying to figure out my shots in a situation that doesn't give me much time to do it in. Another thing to consider is that here in Virginia I don't get a lot of opporrtunities for the long shots.

Now if you are sitting on a field up there in NY, I guess I would work out combinations for these long shots. If you are in the process of doing this I would look at the Black Horn 209 powder. This powder does operate at higher velocities and this may be what you are looking for. I would give it a try.

Good luck on your task! Make sure you get back with us on your results.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

I tried the pellets a few years a go they never grouped as well as the same load of loose at long range. Loose is better and Blackhorn is the best so far.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:13 PM
Typical Buck

T7 pellets is all that i use and never had a negative result ..the only real problem that i had was with bullet sabot loading too easy [accuracy went haywire]
Old 12-22-2009, 03:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

I shoot 90grs of Goex FFF with a 250 shockwave...I'm sighted in 2 1/2 inches high at 100 yards and I'm 2 1/2 inches low at 150 yards which is my maximum range...I've killed deer cleanly out ro 143 yards with this setup...
Old 12-22-2009, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rafsob
First off I don't like the pellets. they are too fragile and unrealiable. Now this is just my opinion so take it for that.

I don't like taking any long shots with my ML. But I will go out to 150 yds. max. My problem with these shots is that the drop is so great, it gets to be a pain in the ass trying to figure out my shots in a situation that doesn't give me much time to do it in. Another thing to consider is that here in Virginia I don't get a lot of opporrtunities for the long shots.

Now if you are sitting on a field up there in NY, I guess I would work out combinations for these long shots. If you are in the process of doing this I would look at the Black Horn 209 powder. This powder does operate at higher velocities and this may be what you are looking for. I would give it a try.

Good luck on your task! Make sure you get back with us on your results.
First off I prefer Loose Powder over Pellets anyday, I did run out of Loose Powder at the end of the Late ML Season and had to use 2 50gr Pellets to fill my final tag. Im up to trying new powder for next Season, how does the BH 209 compare to Pyro? is it stronger per volume? I have heard that BH 209 produces shot to shot velocities and your sabots are easier to load after the first shot. Also I heard your sabot (MUST) provide a tight seal in the bore for it to work at it's best, also it's suppos-to-be the least fouling???? Have you found any of this to be true?
Im not looking to shoot further as 150yds is my max and I usually get them a-lot closer, I was just looking to see what others use (not a magnum load) and still connect at longer ranges and still have excellant results. For now Im pleased with 105-110gr's of regular Pyro and it's results but Im gonna try some BH 209 to see what happens, they say if you find something that works stay with it.
Again this post was mostly to see what others use and there results.
Thank's rafsob
Ron (BP)
Old 12-22-2009, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am no more accurate with loose powder than I am with pelletts,I like loose so I can customize charges
Old 12-22-2009, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

250gr shockwave over 120grRS (130gr? can't remember--not too much of a mag charge ) @ ~230yds has been my longest muley kill w/ ML. Insides turned to jelly. As long as you can hit a deer right, it's as good as dead. I wouldn't have any problem pushing this bullet with only 90gr and expecting performance at 150yds.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.