Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Powerbelts

Old 12-16-2009, 09:31 AM
Fork Horn

So, I am going to try Barnes, Federal Fushion, and Nosler....and see which one shoots best in my gun...and reloads easiest....I suppose I could drop to 80gr with Powerbelts, but I think I'd rather just be done and move on.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:32 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by mnprohunter
So, I am going to try Barnes, Federal Fushion, and Nosler....and see which one shoots best in my gun...and reloads easiest....I suppose I could drop to 80gr with Powerbelts, but I think I'd rather just be done and move on.
Good decision.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:37 PM
Spike

I think too many people are trying to shoot too heavy a powder load out of most muzzle loaders. Hunted with them for 10 years and never shot over 110 grains and get a deer every single year. It really isn't a long range weapon. Part of the skill is getting close enough. Some blame the bullet on the poor blood trail but isn't the case most of the time. I shot two this year from the ground and was a clear pass though the vitals but not one drop of blood as they bleed inside the chest until they drop. If you are shooting down from a treestand then it is different but sometimes even then if it isn't a complete pass though they also bleed inside. Too many people are willing to blame the bullet on a bad shot placement. If you want to shoot 150 grains and shoot 200 yds then don't use the powerbelt. They didn't get so popular by not working. I am going back to them after lots of other bullets and see how it works with loose powder and 80 grains. Like the idea of a full bore size projectile. Lot of us are guilty of saying heck i use the pellets as it is easier and don't want to spend the time working up a proper load. When all we had was black powder that is what we did for each differnt rifle and bullet we shot. They all have a sweet spot where they shoot best. Never going to get a one powder load and bullet for every gun. Bullets are like guns and never going to have everybody agree that one is better. Shoot whatever works for you and have a good time.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:15 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by his guzzi
I think too many people are trying to shoot too heavy a powder load out of most muzzle loaders."" .
Amen. All too many folks think faster and further is allways the game.These are supposed to be primitive weapons, used by higher skilled hunters, as in the single shot rifle. Choose the weapon for how you want to hunt, dont try to make the weapon something it isnt.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:38 PM
Fork Horn

I shoot 100 grains of powder...but maybe that is too much for the Powerbelts...but at any rate, I read someone's recent post on Federals...and I will try them since I have some...I do agree, I won't shoot past 80yds or so...and the fun of it is hunting and getting close to the game...but I need to experiment with some other bullets and see what I like best.
Old 01-01-2010, 05:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default powerbelt

in my t/c hawkins .50 cal flintlock 1-48 twist the best bullet for me is POWERBELT.
why.because i can load DOWN not up and know this bullet will open up.this is GREAT.i get less flinching, less smoke,less kick, less noise,loads easy,very accurate.this all makes me a better shot.
using the 245 is bad thing.295 i like and use most but the best one is the 348 because its length/weight is very close to the best bullet for t/c ,370 maxi-ball.i use 70/80 grs of 2 or 3 f.80 grs of 2f was my load but i am now using 3f........

in a in-line at fast speeds i would not ever use a powerbelt.....unless it was the heaviest one or one with new platinum tips.......
Old 01-01-2010, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have to agree with (his guzzie) on the fact that even though you get a good shot sometimes things just dont turn out the way you think. I have shot a half a dozen deer cleen through the lungs (not high) and never found a drop of blood, the deer bled out inside. On 2 other occasions I had perfect Heart Shots and believe it or not 1 of the deer ran 110yds with not a single drop of blood, the other ran about 70yds. And I was using my Favorite Bullet a 240gr XTP Mag.
Back in the (patch & round ball) days I think we all had the same experiences with results, some good and some bad with good placed shots. Power Belts kinda remind me of the round balls in the way they preform, Im so glad we were albe to use Saboted Bullets as that opened the door for many more great options. I have never shot Power Belts so I cant put my 2 cents in on them, but from my readings here on the forum I would'nt use them I'd find a true follower with good results, that's why when I found the XTP Mag I never looked back.
(BP)
Old 01-01-2010, 06:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

I am so glad that so many people hate the powerbelts, that just means I should never have a problem finding them.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:30 PM
Typical Buck

I do not have that problem with my omega. they do not shoot well for me. i will stick with my noslers. push em as hard as you want or slow them down,they work. but having said that,a shot in the gut is a miss. shot placement is everything.

charlie
Old 01-01-2010, 06:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

BigDaddy12t
I do not think that any body here hates them. A lot of us use them for a while back when we had never heard of an inline. I used to carefully fill the hollow point about 2/3 full of lead. I cut a certain amount out of some lead roofing weigh it and trim till I got the right amount then melt it and put it in the hollow point then load with 110 gr and go hunting. Its just that with so many good bullets on the market it seems redundant to fool with them. They can be made to work, and if thats what you want go for it. Lee

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.