Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Hornady XTP bullets/TC Encore >

Hornady XTP bullets/TC Encore

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hornady XTP bullets/TC Encore

Old 12-16-2009, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Boy your experiences are exactly the reverse of mine. I have used the 240gr XTP Mag for years and have never had anything but good results, blood trails and dead deer. I have never shot at and lost a deer with the XTP Mag's.
Our Late ML Season Started here in N.Y. last Monday and on Monday I shot a Big Doe, and also on Tuesday. Both deer were shot through the lungs, behind the shoulder, both were complete pass throughs and 2-3 foot wide blood trails.
Im gonna post some pics of the deer and shots but it's sooooo COLD here that my digital camera would'nt work in the cold for some reason. O Yea, I shoot 105gr's of powder, and one of the entrance holes was bigger than a Silver Dollar, the old old kind.
(BP)
Old 12-18-2009, 02:20 PM
Fork Horn

Never had a problem with Xtp and so far never had a blood trail as both the deer i shot and my sons elk, they DROPPED . A friend shot a bull elk and it ran 30-40 yards and dropped . There was no blood trail with his but i saw it drop so we did not really look too hard for a blood trail either . The two deer and two elk were shot with .452 300 grain XTPs , I have swithched to Gold dots for hunting and Xtps for paper now andf they shoot the same in my encore .

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/o...ckDSCN0344.jpg

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/o...stDSCN0330.jpg

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/o.../codyelk12.jpg
Old 12-18-2009, 02:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

flyinlowe

XTP's have probably harvested more ML animals than any other bullet. I use to use them when I forst started shooting cause everyone else was. But I did run into a problem, they were coming apart on me. The lead would strip out from the copper on occasion - not always but sometimes - probably my own fault because i was shooting them with to much velocity - sorry I like velocity... so I made a switch - started looking at the Speer Gold Dot - it is bonded and has controlled expansion - sorta like a poor man's nosler...

Here are some pic's that show what I mean + you would not believe what happens to vitals in the animal weather the bullet hits it or not....

These are some recovered Gold Dots, both .452/300 grain and .452/250....

And these are recovered XTP's from the same test...

Old 12-18-2009, 03:08 PM
Typical Buck

I am going to switch to the gold dots next season I myself don't shoot heavy charges of triple and i think that was the reason the XTP 300 grain mag : need more powder to fulley flatten outL this bullet came from a 7 month yealing doe shot at about 65 yards
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...RAINMAG002.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...RAINMAG001.jpg
Old 12-18-2009, 03:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Breechplug

Breech wrote:

240gr XTP Mag Entrance Hole on a Big Doe, the hole was the size of a Silver Dollar, about a 3" diameter. The bullet fragmented on impact, even though it was a complete pass through and through the lungs it managed to break open the paunch.

Here is the picture...

Old 12-18-2009, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
Breechplug

Breech wrote:

240gr XTP Mag Entrance Hole on a Big Doe, the hole was the size of a Silver Dollar, about a 3" diameter. The bullet fragmented on impact, even though it was a complete pass through and through the lungs it managed to break open the paunch.

Here is the picture...

This shot was a 240gr XTP Mag with 105gr's of Pyro. The hit was shoulder/lungs. It hit the bone in the shoulder and also took out some ribs and still was a complete pass through. The only bad thing was the paunch was hit somehow, I suspect by part of the bullet fragmenting.
This is a typical hole from the XTP Mags on all the deer I have shot. Im sorry as I should have put something next to the hole for size comparrison. All I can say is they are deadly and accurate!
(BP) p.s. again, Thank's for posting the pic Mike!