Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Black Powder Shotgunners >

Black Powder Shotgunners

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Black Powder Shotgunners

Old 12-17-2009, 07:08 AM
Typical Buck

Default Black Powder Shotgunners

Need a little help. I have a CVA Trapper 12ga. single shot percussion. I've owned and shot it now for seven years. I use this gun for turkey hunting. Have harvested birds with this gun,but the birds have to be almost on top of me. I have tried many wad and shot combos. My max range is 23 yards. I'm not so much concerned about extending range as I am in getting a tighter pattern. My best with this gun is a max load of powder and #6 shot topped with felt wads. I'm averaging 8 to 10 pellets to the head and neck area at 23 yards. Any suggestions will be deeply appreciated. Thanks!
Old 12-17-2009, 07:21 AM
Dominant Buck

Try a more solid wad. They make wads that have only a short slit which allows them to hold onto the shot longer. I use them in my Knight TK2000 and I would guess my lethal range is 45 yards with them.

What wad do you use?
Old 12-17-2009, 07:37 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad View Post
Try a more solid wad. They make wads that have only a short slit which allows them to hold onto the shot longer. I use them in my Knight TK2000 and I would guess my lethal range is 45 yards with them.

What wad do you use?

cayugad, I tried the cork wads first. When I used them,I would get a void of pellets in the center of the pattern. When I switched to the felt wads,it eliminated the void but it still not a very tight pattern. Would like to tighten it up a little more.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:02 AM
Fork Horn

What might help also is lowering your powder charge 5 or 10 grains
Old 12-18-2009, 09:15 AM
Typical Buck

I use these in my TK2000 and they work well and hold tight. I have taken a bird out at 62 yards lasered using these.

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/pro...sp?number=NC12

I usually split these in half and load on top of the shot making sure it is nice and tight.
Old 12-19-2009, 03:52 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the suggestions everybody! Will give them a try!