Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Smokeless Smokepole >

Smokeless Smokepole

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Smokeless Smokepole

Old 12-11-2009, 02:21 PM
Spike

Default Smokeless Smokepole

Hi Guys, Any savage m10 shooters out there and whats your opinion on the accuracy of this rifle? All help welcomed, Thank you.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:36 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by dead on
Hi Guys, Any savage m10 shooters out there and whats your opinion on the accuracy of this rifle? All help welcomed, Thank you.
I think it is a little over rated and over priced...to many moving parts and wasted space in the receiver. Accurate??..Yes.

But look here before you commit to the Savage:

http://www.smokelessmuzzleloading.com/

You could also get a fast twist = 1:20 twist, 45-70 H&R/NEF barrel and have it fitted for a Push-In breech plug. And be Smokeless in business for about $220.00 Total
http://www.hr1871.com/Support/accessoryProgram.asp

Just my .02Cents
Old 12-11-2009, 02:45 PM
Spike

Default Thanks Lanenabraske

Tank you sir, good info.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:22 PM
Fork Horn

I've owned the Savage for three years now and hold a high opinion of the Gun. It is cheap to shoot, $19.00 for a pound of powder which I get 160 shots out of. Cleaning is no more difficult than my centerfire rifle. I shoot 25-30 rounds without having to swab between shots. Accuracy is outstanding once you dial in the right load for your weapon, my last time at the range I shot a 5/8in group at 100yds. It pushes a 300gr round at 2200fps. I paid $497.00 for mine, have not checked what they go for as of late. I would reccomend it to anyone, I thing its a great Muzzleloader. Just my two cents.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I started with a Savage Model 11 in 243Win and am building my own with a .45 Pac-Nor barrel. Just put the new HS Precision stock and optics package on last night. Now I'm just waiting on the barrel and custom breechplug that will use shortened 243Win cases as a primer carrier.

I don't even want to say how much money I have into it. I did not go as cheap as I could, nor as expensive as I could, but I spent what I had to spend to get the best performance and a gun I would want to shoot for years and made no comprimises.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:39 AM
Fork Horn

Once you start Shooting a savage ML10 II you will never look back.

We have three ML10 IIs in the our Family, 2 brothers and my 79 YR old Dad all have ML10IIs.

I built a Smoke less gun on a Remington Rolling Block frame.26" Stainless 50 Cal barrel 1-24 twist I also helped a neighbor build a ML10 on a 223 110 action, bought a used barrel and got the BP and Modules directly from Savage.

As Lane said there are other alternatives, but the ML10II is simple and hard to beat. you get one of the best triggers in the industry, Never needs cleaning during the season. ( I have over 200 shots since I cleaned my Roller barrel no degrade in accuracy, simply clean)

I shoot allot, I cast my own Boolitzs Period!!! I have a LBT mold for the 330 gr smooth sided LFN that I cast and shoot. so do all of my hunting friends. I buy Harvester SB sabots by the case from Grafs and sons. I cast an extra 15 pounds of Boolitz last Wed. WWs water dropped from the mould.

How accurate? Easy to get 4" groups at 300 yards. Savage book loads will work great! ( but the sky is unlimited)

Longest Kill this year with a ML10II, 226 Laser Yards, Big Doe, My 330 HC from my youngest brothers ML10II he is shooting only 38 gr of 4759,( 2000+ FPS, Boolit and sabot weigh 349 gr ) sighted 2" high @ 100 hit 4" below POA. The HC fly like they have wings! We always get complete pass threw!! 30 yard stagger to fall over. Shot entered back of ribs, exited opposite front shoulder. He was climbing out of the stand when a group of 12 deer showed in the field, one of the big does spotted him so he pulled his rifle up and shot from the ladder, harvesting her before she gave his position away.

Cheap to shoot

I find that for most of my hunting and shooting I only load my gun to a 80 to 100 gr equivalent load of the original Black powder sub. (33 gr. of SR4759 gives me the same speed as 95gr V of BH209, 1750 FPS out of my gun) The Savage Book loads are far above what you can achieve with any of the Black powder guns, shooting anything other than BH209!!!! ( and if you want you can find info and loads to drive 350 gr. bullets up to 2600 FPS+)

I have a 200 yard range in my backyard and We have 1200 yards available at the farm. that is why I also have two 50bmgs. I have owned a crony for 20 years ( currently on my third) .

Natches shooting supply, usually has the best price on ML10IIs, all of our ML10II guns are the Blued w/ synthetic. They just shoot good. They can be sent threw the Mail, they are a Muzzle loader!

Ken
Old 12-12-2009, 05:42 AM
Typical Buck

Deadon

Before we all get too carried away here on the blackpowder forum, might I suggest you take a look over at Modernmuzzleloader.com. Sport some of your questions to the good folks here:
http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=14

And on Doug's message Board here:
http://dougsmessageboards.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=smokeless

Old 12-12-2009, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can shoot BP/subs out of a smokeless ML. What is the problem with discussing them here? Nobody on another forum is going to know anything about them, same bullets/sabots etc...
Old 12-12-2009, 06:49 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Screwbolts

Cheap to shoot

I find that for most of my hunting and shooting I only load my gun to a 80 to 100 gr equivalent load of the original Black powder sub. (33 gr. of SR4759 gives me the same speed as 95gr V of BH209, 1750 FPS out of my gun) The Savage Book loads are far above what you can achieve with any of the Black powder guns, shooting anything other than BH209!!!! ( and if you want you can find info and loads to drive 350 gr. bullets up to 2600 FPS+)

Spaniel

In general terms, no problems.
It's just when we start sharing loads and load comparisons, I would'nt want anyone/newbee's to get any wrong ideas. And start shoving smokless powder down their regular inlines

Just a safety concern is all

Last edited by LaneNebraska; 12-12-2009 at 07:20 AM.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:03 AM
Spike

Another Savage ML fan here.
Easy to maintain,better performance/velocity than black powder or subs.,accutrigger,No smoke clouds,lots of powder & bullets choices and proven track record.
In Illinois, it is "The Nuts" for deer in my opinion.
Check out Doug's Message Board as noted by Lane.
Mark

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.